Image Map Image Map

Thread: Anyone recommend any kicad tutorials?

Default Anyone recommend any kicad tutorials?

Anyone recommend any particular kicad tutorials, oriented towards the CAD newbie? This latest project is too complicated to hand-wire, and I'm too dumb to know which tutorials are decent and which aren't, heh.

Thanks, gentlemen!
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Commodore PC(286+), any PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals (TRS-80 DT-1 in particular), TRS-80 Model 4

Old Computer Fun YouTube Channel!

Blog Entries

There are a few tutorials and forums and blogs. I can't recommend any single one, however.

One aspect that's difficult initially to wrap one's mind around is multi-sheet schematic drawings. Most older SDT packages provide for a simple "flat" organization where one sheet ties into others (such as one might see in the IBM techref). In KiCAD, sheets are organized hierarchically, which means that if you want a "flat" organization, it's a hierarchical tree of depth 2. The top sheet can be empty except for references to the second-level sheets. This is a big difference to get used to if you're used to traditional tools (Yours truly started with Schema SDT on a PC XT way back when).

Parts libraries in KiCAD are kind of hit-or-miss, so you would be advised to learn how to draw library parts. Sooner or later, you'll need to.

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Anyone recommend any particular kicad tutorials, oriented towards the CAD newbie? This latest project is too complicated to hand-wire, and I'm too dumb to know which tutorials are decent and which aren't, heh.
    This text based one suited my learning style and is the first one suggested on the official KiCad site.
    http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/5.1.4/en/g..._in_kicad.html
    After completing it I was able to lay out a large but simple board with over 300 components.

I did have a moderate level of very hard won experience laying out boards in EaglePCB so understood the problem domain - which I believe is the harder part when coming from something 'direct' like wire-wrap in your case or rub-down etch resistant tracks in my case (which I still use from time-to-time for small one-off boards).

When I needed to do things in KiCad not covered in that introductory tutorial I used Google and usually that would turn up a helpful video.