Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mindset repair

I see that the machine *IS* in MAME, so you can see how it boots normally. For what that is worth... There is the diagnostic text and the setup program, before the flipping logo.

Which leads me to... Are there disk images for this available somewhere?

yes, they are on bitsavers under bits/mindset

there is some simple copy protection on some (a few sectors written on track 41 of 40)

Blog Entries

I was trying to figure out how to get the Mindset MAME to work.. but I'm not really sure what I'm doing there. Used to the arcades.

Don’t forget that pressing ALT SYS CONFIG (or some other key combination) enters the SETUP/CONFIG screen. This may stop the normal boot up execution of the BIOS.

Dave

Blog Entries

Would it stop all RAM activity though? Everything just seems to stop cold.

I've read up on how to manipulate the BIOS.. I might try some blind keystrokes when I 'freeze' the system to see if there's any reaction. I did try doing CTRL-ALT-DEL (don't know if that was implemented in the Mindset, maybe not) when frozen and nothing changes.

I still think part of the key to solving this is figuring out why half the RAM in the system isn't doing anything on power up, same with sound controller.

I've started working on 'reverse engineering' a schematic, starting from the RAM.. but.. yeah.. it'll take a while. Apparently there are services that will scan the board and make up a rough schematic for you... I'm wondering if that might be approprirate in this case.

Blog Entries

I've pulled out the Mindsets again. A while back I bought a second Mindset keyboard (really nice one.. no yellowing), on the theory that it seemed odd that both machines were suffering from the exact same failure symptoms. I took a guess that the one keyboard I had might be the common denominator.. but unfortunately it did not help.. same symptoms.

I guess there's no way really to troubleshoot these further, in the absence of a schematic, right? I mean, with my scope and logic probe I can see activity happening on the board but don't know what it all means. The one thing that has perplexed me with these is that it has two banks of RAM, each separated from the other by a good distance - and on power up, usually only one has any activity. The other sits there with nothing.

I suppose we could have a bad RAM chip somewhere - to be expected. That'd be a common enough failure point to affect both machines the same way. Another disturbing possibility is video chip death - I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that Mindset video chips did have a significant failure rate. Can't find it now though.

It's not a super priority to fix.. I don't have the expansion unit with the drives so it's not like I can actually do anything useful with these, although I have a couple of cartridges. But it'd be nice to know what's wrong.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

You can give some thought to (hopefully) educated ic replacement.

Don't overlook the p/s causing ailments. I'm hesitant to ever again turn on either of my 2 units. I first want ro figure out how to substitute something modern, but emphasis on reliable. Those p/s are poc.

On the bright side I had 1 working 1, that wasn't working after I pulled it out of storage. Typical storage rot I suppose, whatever the specific reasons are. I always assumed oxidation. So first order of business is modify a p/s. Then clean everything. I can't remember what steps you took, haven't reread the thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    You can give some thought to (hopefully) educated ic replacement.

Don't overlook the p/s causing ailments. I'm hesitant to ever again turn on either of my 2 units. I first want ro figure out how to substitute something modern, but emphasis on reliable. Those p/s are poc.

On the bright side I had 1 working 1, that wasn't working after I pulled it out of storage. Typical storage rot I suppose, whatever the specific reasons are. I always assumed oxidation. So first order of business is modify a p/s. Then clean everything. I can't remember what steps you took, haven't reread the thread.
    In a nutshell, I took both PSUs apart and removed already-blown RIFAs. Then I tested the voltages with DMM and scope.. they seemed stable and correct for both. I tried swapping the swappable chips between machines (video controller, CPU, etc) but that made no difference on either.

I'm concerned that I'm missing some crucial detail. These are not stock Mindsets - these are the modified video production units. One is labelled M1001V and the other M1001VS. So I'm wondering if something was twigged in the configuration, and if I am missing something hardware wise (high res monitor?) or some other bit to properly use them. I've found a bit of documentation but nothing specific.

I did try manually wiring up another power supply and triggering the power relay manually.. but got zilch.