Image Map Image Map

Thread: Windows NT Manual on cassette for blind users?

Default Windows NT Manual on cassette for blind users?

So I was installing NT 4.0 on one of my machines and was browsing through the manual when I came across a page that mentioned tou could send out for a copy of the manual on a cassette tape for use by the blind. I'm just really curious if anyone has ever seen or found one of these or something similar. It's completely useless but I kind of want to find one of these now

Blog Entries

I can't imagine getting a technical manual on cassette and having to endure long stretches of technobabble. I'dve thought that Braille editions might be more useful. At any rate electronic versions of Windows publications were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I can't imagine getting a technical manual on cassette and having to endure long stretches of technobabble. I'dve thought that Braille editions might be more useful. At any rate electronic versions of Windows publications were available.
    I know it would be absolutely awful, and that's why I want to find a copy. Just curious more than anything.

Blog Entries

Well, if you really want a copy, check with LearningAlly (ORG) which used to be Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic and the source of the audio book version of MS manuals. I don't see the NT manual in the currently available list but I didn't spend much effort searching.

http://www.vibug.org/tutorials.html suggests that the audio book version will be free but that is 20 year old listing.

IIRC, the audio CD or cassette was generated by running the documentation through text to speech software which most users could do by themselves on more recent systems.

So would you need the JAWS application to utilize the manual?