Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: IBM 5150 saved from junkyard

Yeah, but if you get into that habit, you forget there's a second 'S' in there :P
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Does it get slower as the partition fills up? I haven't noticed that, but so far I only have around, I dunno, 25MB on the 2GB DOS 7 partition in my machine.

I was doing some experimentation with this phenomenon, to try to determine if there might be some "optimal size" for partitions larger than 32MB that balances capacity against that Looooong delay on the first DIR, and what I saw was on a newly formatted empty partition any partition larger than 32MB took a long time compared to a smaller partition, but it seemed like it took about the same amount more time regardless of how much larger. (IE, an empty 63MB partition took about the same time to DIR as a 2GB one.)
    I think a lot of the delay is due to calculating space on the drive, and not just reading directory entries. I see the delay when using CHKDSK or XTreePro for large partitions. A nearly empty partition took a long time, and that was using a CF card at 2GB partition and MSDOS 5 or 6.22

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    I think a lot of the delay is due to calculating space on the drive, and not just reading directory entries. I see the delay when using CHKDSK or XTreePro for large partitions. A nearly empty partition took a long time, and that was using a CF card at 2GB partition and MSDOS 5 or 6.22
    Within DOS Shell, it's definitely from reading the directories, not from calculating free space. I think it tries to fast load the entire tree into memory so you can browse it quickly. On a small hard drive, that makes sense. By the time larger drives came out, Windows 3.0 was already popular and people stopped using DOS shell.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.