Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 saved from junkyard

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    Man, as I can see, this should be very early IBM PC, please check your serial number on the back of case. I suppose that your SN is lower than 0(1)20000.
    Serial number reads: S/N_0216897

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That is a very strange passthrough video card. If I am reading that right, it says "Scan Doubler II Rev B". Not much info out there about it. It sounds like it would be used to interface with later higher resolution (VGA?) monitors. I don't know if that would require a software driver. At any rate, if you don't have the monitor it was to be used with, you probably don't need that card.
    Maybe this will shed some light on the situation...

- When I plug the PGS SR-12 monitor into the Quadram Quadcolor I - the image is off center / blurry / ghosted (see attached images).
    - When I plug the PGS SR-12 monitor into the Scan Doubler II pass through card (with the shortie cable from the Quadram Quadcolor I) - the image is clear (see attached images).

Separately, before I even put the CGA cards back in, I tried the MDA card alone with the 5151... unfortunately nothing on the monitor. Right now, I have the card removed... as I don't really need dual monitor mode or want MDA monochrome mode.

OK! ...

I realize I didn't attach pictures to my last post showing the PGS SR-12 monitor directly into the CGA card and the PGS SR-12 monitor through the pass thru card (see attached).

IMG_1091.jpgIMG_1092.jpg

Secondly, the 5151 DOES WORK AFTER ALL (see picture attached)! I put all the cards back in and (as suggested) typed MODE MONO and MODE CO80 to swap back and forth between the two monitors!

IMG_1094.jpg

That's a sweet find! You'd be paying around $400 CDN (buyout) for the base 5150 itself on eBay, let alone the horrendous shipping costs.
    I had one of these years ago in my early teens, and foolishly got rid of it.

As to what you can do with it, pretty much most DOS CGA games would run on it if you can make sure the RAM is upgraded to 640K. As mentioned above, the MDA card will be useless for most games, so you could take that one out if you need to add a Lo-Tech 1MB RAM card.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

1MB ram for what? Useless. 256 or maximally 512k is enough for IBM PC at all. Also its very early PC so it depends of used BIOS. One more time, please OP check SN of your machine, I am interested in. Thanks
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155: IBM PC Expansion Unit 5161:
    WANTED!: IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM PC/XT/AT rear screws, Intel INBOARD 386AT card, IBM 5140 keyboard, very early IBM PC (S/N: under 5000)
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Blog Entries

1MB ram for what? Useless. 256 or maximally 512k is enough for IBM PC at all. Also its very early PC so it depends of used BIOS. One more time, please OP check SN of your machine, I am interested in. Thanks
    The serial number is listed on the previous page.

One MB of EMS can be used as a disk cache or RAM disk. Putting UCSD Pascal on the RAMdisk makes switching from editor to compiler much faster and results in a much more pleasant environment. Other software that used overlays benefits from RAMdisk as well.

RAM drives are invaluable. Every computer I use regularly has one or more RAM drives on it.

I use them for testing software, storing temporary material and anything else that I'm not quite ready to commit to the HD.

On a 5150 with such limited floppy space and no HD it's a boon.

My tweener has two 32MB (the max available using the DOS driver) RAM drives by default and a program to generate much larger (2GB) RAM drives on-the-fly.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    Separately, before I even put the CGA cards back in, I tried the MDA card alone with the 5151... unfortunately nothing on the monitor. Right now, I have the card removed... as I don't really need dual monitor mode or want MDA monochrome mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    Secondly, the 5151 DOES WORK AFTER ALL (see picture attached)! I put all the cards back in and (as suggested) typed MODE MONO and MODE CO80 to swap back and forth between the two monitors!
    Are you aware that if the IBM MDA card is the only video card fitted, the two video switches on switch block SW1 (see [here]) need to be set to MDA ?

640K ought to be enough for everybody, as one famous, but ultimately outdated man said, but an extra 384K of UMB for loading DOS HI and a mouse driver, gives you breathing space. Some productivity and programming software, such as Lotus 1-2-3, and others mentioned above, were designed to take advantage of UMBs if available.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    640K ought to be enough for everybody, as one famous, but ultimately outdated man said, but an extra 384K of UMB for loading DOS HI and a mouse driver, gives you breathing space.
    I don't think you can 'load DOS HI' on a PC or XT. TSRs and device drivers, yes, but DOS...?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step