Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 saved from junkyard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    Regarding dos 5. It seems like there is an incompatibility. The hardware I have is a Zenith Z171. When I try to install dos 5, it hangs. I could try with a fresh copy of the disks to confirm.
    I've had that with a genuine IBM once, the higher conventional RAM (like 512-640) wasn't 100%, enough to pass a RAM test on startup but not reliable. It'd boot DOS 3.3 and earlier just fine, but DOS 5 or 6.22 would hang. Not saying that's your issue, just something I noticed with one of my systems.

Thats a great point. I did find a bad ram chip at some point. I wonder if that was was caused the problem with dos5. Will have to check it out again.

I have both IBM 5150 and 5160 with AST SixPak+ cards and they run DOS 5 and 6.22. The 5150 has an XTIDE-CF while the 5160 has a 10MB FH HD. It also has the 8087 chip and is not close to limiting the PSU. You might have something pulling too much current?

Thanks for all the kind help... this has been very informative.

Just a general update... I swapped out my CGA adapter for an EGA adapter. Check out these sweet sweet EGA graphics.

IMG_1100.jpg IMG_1101.jpg IMG_1103.jpg

Amazingly I kept my old tray of 5.25 floppy disks from when I was a kid... altho the game runs painfully slower on this 5150 as opposed to the AT I had as a kid (which unfortunately I did not keep).

I will update again once I find and get settled on a final configuration (ordered an XTIDE card, etc) ... but in the meantime, I have another question.

Is there a difference between these two floppy drives? The B: will spin and sometimes read disks... but generally it won't run programs and more frequently not be able to read disks at all (getting the Abort, Ignore, Retry error).

IMG_1099.jpg IMG_1098.jpg

Thanks, again!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Seriously?

I run DOS 5.0 and 6.22 on mine.

There's no need to install it. Just boot it from a floppy.

on my Zenith Z171, attempting to boot DOS 5 renders the keyboard useless except for CNTL ALT DEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Twospruces View Post
    on my Zenith Z171, attempting to boot DOS 5 renders the keyboard useless except for CNTL ALT DEL.
    Have you run a memory diagnostic? DOS 5 and 6.22 use more RAM than 3.30, but otherwise should be compatible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Have you run a memory diagnostic? DOS 5 and 6.22 use more RAM than 3.30, but otherwise should be compatible.
    No, the Z171 is not a PC compatible and will not run standard DOS versions. Obviously, the OP's 5150 will not share the problems.

Sorry for derailing the thread, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    I have another question.

Is there a difference between these two floppy drives? The B: will spin and sometimes read disks... but generally it won't run programs and more frequently not be able to read disks at all (getting the Abort, Ignore, Retry error).

Thanks, again!
    The drive model information would be helpful. It can be on the rear or one of the sides. They look very similar; they may be different revisions from the same manufacturer.

The most common problem with floppy drives is dirt, heads and rails that the head assemblies travel. I recommend getting a head cleaning disk. It will usually come with cleaning solution, most often 99+% isopropanol. You can clean the rails with isopropanol and q-tips. Some people like to lubricate the rails, but I never have.

A program called ImageDisk (IMD) can be found on the web with utilities to help clean the heads and verify head alignment. A simple test is a disk formatted in one drive and read by the other.

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    The drive model information would be helpful. It can be on the rear or one of the sides. They look very similar; they may be different revisions from the same manufacturer.

The most common problem with floppy drives is dirt, heads and rails that the head assemblies travel. I recommend getting a head cleaning disk. It will usually come with cleaning solution, most often 99+% isopropanol. You can clean the rails with isopropanol and q-tips. Some people like to lubricate the rails, but I never have.

A program called ImageDisk (IMD) can be found on the web with utilities to help clean the heads and verify head alignment. A simple test is a disk formatted in one drive and read by the other.
    I've seen white lithium grease used as rail lubricant. Supposed to quiet the drive seek down quite a bit. Might also want to put a little WD-40 or 3-1 oil on the stepper motor spindles.

Isopropanol alcohol needs to be 99% if you're using it for cleaning electronics. If you use less pure, like 70%, it will leave residue.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1000 RSX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 64K CoCo 2, Commodore VIC-20, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.