Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 saved from junkyard

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    Isopropanol alcohol needs to be 99% if you're using it for cleaning electronics. If you use less pure, like 70%, it will leave residue.
    And I've been using the 70% drug store stuff for over thirty years. I wish someone had clued me in.

FWIW, I'm still regularly using some of the same drives over that thirty year period -- some of which have been cleaned with that 70% stuff dozens and dozens of times without any ill effects.

Where did you learn that it will leave a residue?

What is the residue that it leaves?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    And I've been using the 70% drug store stuff for over thirty years. I wish someone had clued me in.

FWIW, I'm still regularly using some of the same drives over that thirty year period -- some of which have been cleaned with that 70% stuff dozens and dozens of times without any ill effects.

Where did you learn that it will leave a residue?

What is the residue that it leaves?
    I've heard that same residue warning for years and years. Supposedly, there were some rubbing alcohols that had an oily impurity. I remember testing 91% isopropanol by evaporating some on a weighing pan, and saw a residue of about 1 ppm (w/w). But that was a long time ago, and within the weighing error of the balance I was using.

I do use 91% on drive rails, but 99% on heads. A bottle lasts a long time...

As a side note, I cleaned a DVD drive laser with IPA, then thought I'd dry it using that "air in a can" from Costco. The head did not read a disk at all. Once I cleaned it with IPA and let it dry, all was good. So I do suspect that something in that can left a residue.
    Last edited by lafos; November 18th, 2019 at 11:18 AM.

So dirty air can be worse than dirty alcohol.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

If you use the 99+ percent stuff, it's best to dispense it into a smaller container for application. IPA is hugely hygroscopic and an open container absorbs atmospheric water quite rapidly. I prefer the azetrope (91%) as it has the lowest BP and is very cheap.

If I clean heads, I'll use something like perc for the stubborn deposits.

It's just from my own experience. The 70% stuff I was using was from the dollar store, so it might just be cheap swill that's the problem.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

hello again - i ordered a head cleaner disk, thanks!

Here is the rear of the drive in question:

IMG_1104.jpg

Here is the rear of the working drive (sorry it's not the best pic)

IMG_1110.jpg

Can you find labels with model numbers? The first photo looks like my Tandon TM-100-2. Hopefully, cleaning the drives will help.

Quote Originally Posted by phonophan View Post
    hello again - i ordered a head cleaner disk, thanks!
    I think you'll find that to be quite useful. Old floppies can tend to foul the drive's heads quite easily and it's a simple process to clean them this way. I've been doing it for around thirty years with unwavering success.

I had that exact same game (Obliterator). At some point in the game if you lept off the deck, you would fall through several screens, and then the game would lock up or return to some point, can't remember exactly. I guess it could have been programmed to do that, but I saw it as a glitch. It would be very interesting to see a youtube reinactment of what I'm talking about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I think you'll find that to be quite useful. Old floppies can tend to foul the drive's heads quite easily and it's a simple process to clean them this way. I've been doing it for around thirty years with unwavering success.
    100% with you there. Often when archiving old disks I also need to clean between disks.
    One trick I'll add, is for old drives with really persistent crud, putting "more than you should" isopropyl (or whatever is being used) on the cleaning disk helps.