Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5150 saved from junkyard

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    Often when archiving old disks I also need to clean between disks.
    I use a dust rag to clean between disks.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Hello all... sorry it's been a while! I just wanted to share an update and the final configuration I've settled on!

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

Slot 1 - IBM 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter (early version)

Slot 2 - Monotech XT-CF

Slot 3 (slot) - Monotech XT-FullRAM
    Slot 3 (faceplace) - Game Port ribbon extension from card in slot 4

Slot 4 - Kouwell KW-524E parallel/serial/game port I/O card

Slot 5 - Genoa 4850A EGA/CGA/MDA Enhanced Graphics Adapter (using with Princeton Graphics HX-12 monitor)

So by removing the blank faceplate from the XT-FullRAM card, I was able to fit in the ribbon extension from the multi-card.

I also installed the 8087 math co-processor... because why not?

All in all, i'm super thrilled with this! I find myself turning it on quite often and just fooling around with it a bit.

Thank you all for your time and help! No doubt I will have more questions in the future!

I have no issue running DOS 6.22 on my IBM 5150. Though, I'm thinking of switching to PC-DOS 5. I prefer to stick with DOS versions which allow me to have 2G partitions.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    I have no issue running DOS 6.22 on my IBM 5150. Though, I'm thinking of switching to PC-DOS 5. I prefer to stick with DOS versions which allow me to have 2G partitions.
    Even one 2 GB partition on a 5150 is awfully high in expectations, isn't it? What do you plan on storing on this?

FWIW, you could even run PC DOS 7 on this machine.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Even one 2 GB partition on a 5150 is awfully high in expectations, isn't it? What do you plan on storing on this?

FWIW, you could even run PC DOS 7 on this machine.
    I've successfully run DOS 6.22 on an IBM 5160 with 3 2G partitions and a fourth partition that was in the neighborhood of 1.4G if memory serves. As for why... I haven't needed it yet but I'd like to store as much compatible software on the computer as possible.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    I've successfully run DOS 6.22 on an IBM 5160 with 3 2G partitions and a fourth partition that was in the neighborhood of 1.4G if memory serves. As for why... I haven't needed it yet but I'd like to store as much compatible software on the computer as possible.
    7.4 GB... do you think that there's enough compatible soiftware to fill even one 2 GB partition?

Blog Entries

7.4 GB... do you think that there's enough compatible soiftware to fill even one 2 GB partition?
    I have no idea if the previous poster thinks a partition can be filled but the online collections of 5150 compatible software would exceed 2 GB when decompressed and that is only for the part of the software library anyone cared enough to save.

I don't know if I'd ever fill 7.4G on a 5150/5160 with stuff that I'd actually use. But, I think I could easily fill it with compatible software. The WinWorldPC archive is over 500G all by itself. Granted only a subset of that will be compatible with a 5150/5160 but I'd wager that at least 7.4G of it is compatible.

One potential use for having a few GB of local space on a 5150 or 5160 would be for storing disk images, assuming that you don't have a network card in it to access them from another system. Occasionally someone on here or facebook might complain about picking up a new to them XT class machine and having no way to get software on it. On more than one occasion, if they fail to succeed with other options like using fastlynx, I have made a floppy and sent them media mail from the post office. Fortunately I've got a 360K drive and a 3com ethernet card in my 5170, but if your only machine with a 360K drive is a 5150 having a few GB of space might be an OK alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    One potential use for having a few GB of local space on a 5150 or 5160 would be for storing disk images, assuming that you don't have a network card in it to access them from another system.
    You don't really need a network card. A parallel port is sufficient to transfer files (and more) between computers. There are full Server/Workstation parallel port networks that run quite nicely on a 5150/5160.