Image Map Image Map

Thread: Xfinity's new Flex

Blog Entries

Default Xfinity's new Flex

xfinity has been offering their new Flex streaming gateway since last summer. If you were a current customer you could get the device for free and another for only $5. The question is, if you were a xFinity cable customer why would you want a streaming device. Well, it took a while and Comcast figured it out; customers with cable don't necessarily want to stream. So, last week xFinity offered the Flex package free to customers who only subscribe to their internet service, like me. I got the thing in the mail Friday and couldn't wait to set it up. It's a snazzy looking box with a real nice remote. That's where it all comes apart. The menu system is a kaleidoscope of useless to almost useless info. You really have to dig to find what you're looking for. The available apps are only what Comcast has dictated for users and the mainstream apps like Hulu are missing. That makes it useless for me. The major problem is that it is extremely slow and you must have laser like aiming powers to line up the remote with the device. When the thing goes dumb, a work around is to flip the device over and push the reset button everytime you turn it on. I went through page after page on the forums yesterday, the ones where the ex-employees offer assistance. Their fix, almost in every case, was you needed to get the device closer to your wi-fi source. That's not the problem. This thing barely made it out of beta and the marketing people are trying whatever to cover their pa-toots. Mine goes back Monday. Too bad - how sad, it's real nice looking setup.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I got the thing in the mail Friday and couldn't wait to set it up. It's a snazzy looking box with a real nice remote. That's where it all comes apart. The menu system is a kaleidoscope of useless to almost useless info. You really have to dig to find what you're looking for.
    Gee, that kinda sounds like the Comcast cable menu system, too! They seemed to have maintained the same semblance of consistency, albeit crappy. Their cable menu has always been a sore spot for me. It just outright sucks.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step