Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying 1969 paper tape.

Default Help identifying 1969 paper tape.

Does anyone have any info. how to read this paper tape? It was punched in White Sands, NM in 1969. I was told it is 8 bit, but not ascII. Im not sure if that is correct or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a big clue would be the handwritten label, which you didn't bother to send pictures of

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    a big clue would be the handwritten label, which you didn't bother to send pictures of
    heres a better pic

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    here is another pic

Just read it as raw data, then interpret once it is in electronic form where it is easier to identify patterns.
    Just keep in mind that a lot of these tapes are simply data in binary form so interpretation will not be possible

Blog Entries

Looks like binary data to me. I see patterns like 0x01 0xFF 0xFE...

So read it all in, then attempt to figure out what machine (and possibly software) it might belong to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Looks like binary data to me. I see patterns like 0x01 0xFF 0xFE...

So read it all in, then attempt to figure out what machine (and possibly software) it might belong to.
    What do you mean? Im a total noob at this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by candrews View Post
    Just read it as raw data, then interpret once it is in electronic form where it is easier to identify patterns.
    Just keep in mind that a lot of these tapes are simply data in binary form so interpretation will not be possible
    Just wondering why someone would have it marked lunar landing? i really want to get it read by someone that knows what they are doing.

Is the question how to read it, or how to interpret the data stored on it?

If you want to read the tape but you don't have the needed hardware, all you need to know is that each (large) hole represents a 1 bit, while the absence of a hole is a 0 bit. Each row of bits encodes a byte. Reading a tape by hand by looking at the holes is tedious but possible. I don't recommend it if you can find a better option.

Once you've read the data from the tape, interpreting it is best done by doing things such as examining hex dumps, looking for clues like strings of ASCII characters.

Your profile doesn’t indicate where you are located, chances are there is someone nearby that can read the tapes. I can read them if you are in the PNW, It would only take a few minutes to feed them through and get the data file.