Image Map Image Map

Thread: Yahoo Groups

Default Yahoo Groups

Is anyone else here affected by the recent Yahoo Groups turmoil? What are your plans?

I was part of several groups.

One has fully made the transition to groups.io by paying the premium fee (before it went up 2x) and doing groups.io's transfer process.
    Two groups (from one organization) have moved to groups.io, but with a reboot - free plan and invites sent to the membership.
    One defunct group we just downloaded the materials and will say goodbye to it.
    One defunct group it looks like we'll just say goodbye, and not preserve anything.

Gilbert

Wasn't aware of any turmoil. I haven't even logged into any groups, including the ones I started. One was pretty active, but seems to have gonr mostly inactive. I had appointed a moderator who seems to have done a great job of managing the group. But there isn't much left to worry about it seems.

A lot of discussion has moved to Disgracebook.

I need to take some time and binge through the groups I've joined - mostly just synthesizer groups that had piles of patch banks for download, I never took to discussion much because Yahoo's web design is so godawful and it was an embarassingly long time before I realized that I could just reply via e-mail instead. I do need to make sure I've got contact info for the folks on the DK Synergy group, though, I still need to pick their brains and get mine fixed...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Moved to groups.io free tier. Got the files uploaded and I have copies of the messages which I'll probably host somewhere else.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

We created a new forum area here for the RuGrid group was affected. (We still need to do some work to make the original posts and files available.)
    Last edited by mbbrutman; November 12th, 2019 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo

On my Yahoo Group I am still able to upload files to it even though Yahoo claimed that ability was going to disappear on October 28th. Members are still posting messages to it and I am still able to view and reply to them via the Yahoo Groups web site. So at least for now, it's business as normal, although the real cutoff date is supposed to be sometime in December, when all groups will become private and all messaging will be via e-mail only.