Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZoomFloppy / OpenCBM/ 2031LP and 8050

Here is my experience. Windows 10 or MacOS 10.13 zoomfloppy v7

1541, 1541–II work fine in all regards.
    1581, 8050 work only if disk was formatted first (connect drive to your PET, c64, etc... and format). In other words I can write good disks from openCBM but it cannot format them. Use a c= to format first.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoelzer View Post
    I am saying that... and I'm trying to figure out if it's the drive, my wiring, or something else. . It doesn't write to my 2031LP either, but both are supported.

Again, cbmctrl reset will trigger either drive if it's connected, but nothing else works *at all*
    That screams "wrong device number"!

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    That screams "wrong device number"!
    Well, I am absolutely sure the device number is correct. It's the same device number that I use from the PET.

Maybe I missed the point, but this topic was discussed at length around a year ago on both cbm-hackers and the zoomfloppy yahoo group. IIRC, the 2031 has subtlety different interface which didn't work with the last official firmware. All other IEEE drives worked just fine and have done for some years. It was eventually tracked down and fixed, but I'm not sure it was ever merged into the latest official firmware.

http://www.softwolves.com/arkiv/cbm-...dex.html#24238

The last time I tried to update to the v8 firmware, there was not a precompiled build of the v8 tools available and I setting up a build environment on my old laptop went beyond my willpower.

Quote Originally Posted by crock View Post
    Maybe I missed the point, but this topic was discussed at length around a year ago on both cbm-hackers and the zoomfloppy yahoo group. IIRC, the 2031 has subtlety different interface which didn't work with the last official firmware. All other IEEE drives worked just fine and have done for some years. It was eventually tracked down and fixed, but I'm not sure it was ever merged into the latest official firmware.

http://www.softwolves.com/arkiv/cbm-...dex.html#24238

The last time I tried to update to the v8 firmware, there was not a precompiled build of the v8 tools available and I setting up a build environment on my old laptop went beyond my willpower.
    Thanks . I went down that path but still have no success with the 2031LP or the 8050.

the 2031 has subtlety different interface which didn't work with the last official firmware. All other IEEE drives worked just fine and have done for some years.
    ZoomFloppy still does not work with a 4040 IEEE Drive. As I remember it did a Reset, and a Directory, but wouldn't copy a file or perform a disk image copy. I have to copy individual files using ZoomFloppy from the PC to a 1541 drive and then sneaker-net the floppy to a 4040 drive, LOAD the file into PET memory, and then SAVE the program to a properly formatted 4040 floppy.

Jim Brain was willing to debug the code to get a 4040 drive to work, but could not get access to a 4040 drive.

Correction: Looking at the ZoomFloppy Google Groups messages, I found a thread I started in July 29, 2018 where I found that I could write a file to the 4040 using the CBMXfer program. I could transfer single files only not image files. The d64copy program does not work at all with the 4040.
    Last edited by dave_m; November 19th, 2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    ZoomFloppy still does not work with a 4040 IEEE Drive. As I remember it did a Reset, and a Directory, but wouldn't copy a file or perform a disk image copy. I have to copy individual files using ZoomFloppy from the PC to a 1541 drive and then sneaker-net the floppy to a 4040 drive, LOAD the file into PET memory, and then SAVE the program to a properly formatted 4040 floppy.

Jim Brain was willing to debug the code to get a 4040 drive to work, but could not get access to a 4040 drive.

Correction: Looking at the ZoomFloppy Google Groups messages, I found a thread I started in July 29, 2018 where I found that I could write a file to the 4040 using the CBMXfer program. I could transfer single files only not image files. The d64copy program does not work at all with the 4040.
    Well, that's annoying...

Pretty sure I had used all the opencbm functions with a 4040 in the past as I had done extensive restorations on many of them some years ago, but indeed the imgcopy.exe in latest build of CBM tools does appear to be broken. As far as I can tell, all the other tools work OK.

...but indeed the imgcopy.exe in latest build of CBM tools does appear to be broken. As far as I can tell, all the other tools work OK.
    Thanks for checking. It's a shame as I have the Toronto Pet Users Group library CD which has hundreds of Commodore computer programs that are packaged in .d64 image files.