Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Write problems with an SD card IDE hard disk emulaator and Windows 98

Unhappy Write problems with an SD card IDE hard disk emulaator and Windows 98

I have a Pentium 166 MHz machine, which works fine with the original IDE disk from 96', but when I run Windows 98 from the SD card IDE hard disk emulator module, I get blue screen write errors and other page faults after the first boot and for example when I try to copy files, install Office etc.... The installation of Windows 98 completes without errors.

I tried using 16GB and 4GB cards, but it made no difference. I use DOS 6.21 to partition the drive to 2GB Fat16. I have also tried using WHATIDE.EXE software to manually set the cylinders in BIOS, also without any luck...

Do you think a CF card emulator would behave differently?

Blog Entries

My initial thought on this was bad/cheap SD card. Are the ones you are using known brands or just cheap ebay no-branders?

Personally I much prefer Compact Flash cards for my retro machines, they are basically IDE drives and with one exception I've never had any issues with this setup.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

I prefer DOMs -- the name is self explanatory.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I prefer DOMs -- the name is self explanatory.
    No it really isn't unless you know what DOM stands for, and OP may not.

DOM = Disk-on-Module. It is basically flash storage that emulates a spinning drive. They usually are IDE and can simply plug into the IDE header. They are a VERY good option to consider for any retro machines.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    ... They are a VERY good option to consider for any retro machines.
    Not only for retro. With 128GB IDE and 512GB SATA DOMs there are even more uses well beyond the retro machines.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Isn't a SATA DOM usually called a SSD?

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    No it really isn't unless you know what DOM stands for, and OP may not.
    DOM = Disk-on-Module.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Isn't a SATA DOM usually called a SSD?
    It can be but it isn't always:

Blog Entries

Other than the connectors, what's the difference? Does the DOM use SLC flash?

Look to see what level the SD supports. Many of the newer SD cards won't work with older software, regardless of the fat used.
    Dwight