Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with old compaq

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    If you can find either, Win95 B &C (2.1/2.5) were far less problematic than the originals (95/95A).
    I think thats what cd image I have is osr2.5. If not I'll find an image of it online once I get all the parts lined up. Then decide what upgrades to do. Def putting a 4mb video card and spund card. Maybe a ram upgrade to 32mb. But since everything works out pf the case (even played arena and daggerfall to test it) upgrading not high on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    Yes that is true. Plus you get support for bigger drives, and you get FAT32. No meaningful USB though, not until Windows 2000.
    Well...late win95 had usb but few computers had it except for specially built machines, usb was found on win98 pc's but usually for plug and play controllers and such, winME and 2k was when portable storage was becoming a thing. But this will be a win95 machine for light use/light gaming, as a between phase from dos to 98 era. So usb not a huge necessity on it and if I do need a USB port I thinks theres mods for it

I never really had stability issues with Windows 95 as long as I kept to the drivers originally supplied with it - basically, any hardware older than the OS itself. As soon as non-trivial vendor drivers (or bad software) came into play, stability suffered. This also seems to be the sentiment echoed in the oldnewthing blogs (which I can recommend, just on general principle) by Raymond Chen.

Looking at the Compaq, I'd avoid the original Windows 95, but OSR2/OSR2.5 should work fine. If you can get the memory to 32 MB or more, Windows 98SE is a good option as well, depending on what you want to do with it. On my P133 machine (socket 5, no USB), I ran Windows 95b for years because it was faster than Windows 98SE - but I did have the IE4 shell upgrade and IE5 installed, so most Win98-requiring software would work fine.

On a 486-class machine, I'd recommend the original Windows 95 with IE5 (but without the shell upgrade). It is faster, requires less disk space and allows running Windows 3.1 in DOS mode without dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by New2vtgpc View Post
    ...usb not a huge necessity on it and if I do need a USB port I thinks theres mods for it
    And FWIW, here's probably one of them (that may or may not work according to the "disclaimers"):

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

If you do go with Win98SE then search for the unofficial Win98SE service pack! It was compiled with all the MS 98SE fixes that were not automatically installed plus some WinME updates that also work win 98SE.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDon View Post
    If you do go with Win98SE then search for the unofficial Win98SE service pack! It was compiled with all the MS 98SE fixes that were not automatically installed plus some WinME updates that also work win 98SE.
    Oh i know. Its awesome. I have a 98se pc already with the unoffical pack already. So much bwtter than even se used to be. But this compaq will be a win95 pc. Not rrally useful since I finsihed the win98 but now at least can say i have a pc with most of ms operating systems