Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaypro 4/83 questions...

I've looked at the many sites having disk images, but there are a lot of images. Is there a single 4/83 file containing images of the disks that would have come with the unit? I also don't see a user manual for it - would that manual (if it exists) have listed the disks that came with it?

alank2,
    Think of the Drive LED as a Drive SELECT LED. If A: has been selected, the LED is ON, or if B: has been SELECTED
    then the B: LED is ON. It's different, but you will get used to it.

Kaypro ROM Versions and the associated Software:
    Code:
      4.0    KAYPRO ROM REVISION--CP/M VERSION COMPATIBILITY

MODEL NAME       CP/M VERSION     MAINBOARD        ROM REVISION
    =========================================================================
          2/83              2.2F           81-110           81-149-C
          4/83              2.2F           81-240           81-232-A
          4/83 + 88         2.2F           81-240           81-232-A
          2/84              2.2G           81-294           81-292-A
          4/84              2.2G           81-184           81-292-A
          4/84 + 88         2.2G           81-184           81-292-A
          2X                2.2G           81-294           81-292-A
          4X                2.2G           81-297           81-326-E
          ROBIE             2.2G 2.2UL     81-296           81-478-A
                            2.2H
          10                2.2G           81-180           81-302-C
                            2.2H
          2X W/MODEM        2.2UL          81-580           81-478-A
             and CLOCK
          10 W/MODEM        2.2UL          81-582           81-478-A
             and CLOCK
          NEW 2             2.2UL          81-294           81-478-A
          1                 2.2UL          81-294           81-478-A
    So, look at your ROM Sticker, write down the ROM Version and then you know what Version CP/M to use
    for that exact Kaypro ROM.

This information came from the Service Manual for the Kaypro's.

Thanks.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; November 16th, 2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo

alank2,
    If your Original Floppy Drives are Tandon TM-100's make sure you don't let the Door Flip
    up and bang against the Face when you open the Floppy Door. Those Hinges break easily
    and then you will need a Hinge part. I have those on ThingIverse, or I can provide one if needed.
    If they are Tandon Full Height, have a look at the Hinge Point to see it there are two small White
    nylon pins, or a full length Brass Rod. If they are the two small white pins, those need to be removed
    and a full length Brass rod inserted.

If you want to Verify the Floppy RPM's I have a small basic program that does that. I also have
    a Diagnostics Package I wrote years ago. It's also on the Internet, but I forget exactly where.

Thanks.

Larry

Thanks Larry - I pulled the drives and did some maintenance on them from a YouTube video I saw. I have a RPM tool I bought from eBay so I measured them and they are both very close to 300 rpm (299.4 and 300.2). While I had them apart I lubed the rails, cleaned the heads, put a drop of oil on the top of the center hub, top center of drive motor, and on the bottom in the bearing under the wheel with the markers on it. This made them a little quieter, but still not squeak free. I wrote a couple of disks on my 5170 using IMD and have been running the COPY tools' verify option with no errors on this disk pair. Pulling both disks shows no marks on the media unlike some of the other disks I have, so the drives don't seem to be marking disks either. I also cleaned off some of the contacts on the main pcb with an eraser when I had them apart. I'll check out the ROM sticker next!

ALSO - one thing I find odd is that when you turn it on without a disk, it will just spin and spin trying to load. I would have expected a timeout where you press a key and it tries again. Should you put a disk in it, close the door, then turn it on? Or, close the door on a disk after turn on? There is a noise/rubbing of the disk that occurs when inserting it if the motor is running that I am not a fan of, though this doesn't appear to mark the media, maybe the spinning hub contacts the outer disk sleeve somehow?

that behavior depends on the ROM version you have. Some timeout and print a message like "no system disk" (RESET required to retry), others just continually try to access media - in which case as soon as you insert a disk it will boot. It is always better to insert a diskette while the motor is running, as it better ensures the hub will properly catch the diskette center hole. There have been cases where inserting without the motor running has deformed the center hole. Some drives are worse than others at that.
    - Doug

It is ROM 81-232.

What sort of mods/tweaks can be done on the 4/83 ? Can the CPU be changed to 4 MHz from the 2.5 MHz ?

I'm not experienced making that sort of modification, but looking at the schematics I think it is more complicated than it sounds. You've got the Z80 peripheral chips that also need to be upgraded, and I'm not sure what effect it will have on the video circuitry (that runs on a separate clock, but unclear how it would change the interface to the CPU). the DRAM is also a concern, and even possibly some of the discrete logic. I'm not sure what special timing routines there might be in the ROM, and what effect changing CPU speed will have there.

This model has significantly different hardware from the later models, and so I think you are limited on what ROMs you could use. There is probably no newer ROM that will work on this mainboard.
    - Doug

Default Kaypro Modifications.

There were lots of modifications for the Kaypro's. A 2.5 to 4.0 MHZ modification and a 5 MHZ modification.
    Micro C had an adapter board that allows up to 4 Floppy's to be controlled by the FDC. I have that adapter board.
    My Kaypro II is modified for 4.0 MHZ. There were several ROM upgrades like the Micro Cornucopia, Advent,
    and another that I forget. I have the Pro8 Monitor from Micro C. It allows me to use any floppy I want with my
    Kaypro.

Micro C also had an Updated Character ROM.

Turn on the Kaypro, Open the Floppy Door and Insert Floppy and close the door. It should boot up.
    Power off in reverse.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; November 16th, 2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typo

Alan,
    if you are serious about the hardware modifications, you need to go to Bitsavers, and download all
    the MicroCornucopia Issues. Then you can search through each copy under the Kaypro Column,
    and locate the information on making the modifications. It will take a bit of time, but the 4.0 MHZ update
    was the best thing I did except for the hardware board for 4 Floppy's of any type.

I sent you enough information via email to keep you busy for 2 years.

Larry