Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An all new experience in stupid packaging!!

My PET 2001-N came in a giant cardboard bag (big enough to put 4 PETs in) full of packing peanuts and a pile of dead C64s. When I came home and saw it on the porch I thought for sure it would be destroyed. But upon opening it, the PET, laying on its side, was unscathed. If it hadn't been USPS it would have been a total loss.

The worst I got was a ASR33 teletype. It came in a seller fabricated box, wrapped with a limited amount of duct tape. The padding was a number of old throw pillows and such junk. When the package came, part of the teletype was hanging out and the case was cracked.
    I originally asked him to remove the motor and ship it in a separate box because I expected him to do the typical popcorn and box. Shipping with such unbalanced weight is not a good idea. Because the print mechanism was not clamped down, the H coupling between the keyboard and the printer came loose. Luckily, it hadn't fallen out of the wads of packaging and I found it in some of it.
    When I requested the motor to be shipped separate, he stated that it was very well packed and I shouldn't worry.
    I was astounded that he could think the packaging was even close to enough. I had no idea that his idea of well packed and my idea of minimally packed were so completely different. It makes your mailer packing look professionally done.
    Dwight

I once received a TRS-80 model 3 in a large cardboard box. The only padding it was given was half a dozen sheets of newspaper inside the box. With the bast will in the world thats one sheet of paper per face.

Needless to say the case was cracked and the tube was rattling around inside.

I did manage to repair it though and in the end, it looked fine.

Cheers,

Andy.

I received what was before shipping, a pristine Gonset Communicator IV. It arrived in a thin cardboard box exactly the size of the radio, no packing material at all. This is a very heavy piece of equipment, and there was just no chance in the world of it not getting damage. I did get my money back and got to keep it. I spent the purchase price on parts to repair it. It's pretty ugly now but it works.

I just got this today, UPS. Do you think it was dropped?
    IMG_20191115_163012396.jpg
    The foam corner protectors in one corner collapsed.

Stories like these are why I now always ask sellers for photos of their packaging job before they send anything. I recently had someone who thought a good way to strap a Teletype to a pallet was to wrap it in cling-film and twist the edges around, tying them to the pallet's boards. Needless to say I (and the shipping company) refused to have it picked up like that. It's since been strapped with actual straps (although for some reason the seller screwed them in place...) and had a wooden frame fabricated around the pedestal to stop it from sliding around. Hopefully it will arrive intact, although just yesterday I got a call from the courier saying they can't find it in the warehouse...
    Wanted: ASR33 Teletype, TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8340), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Ouch. Look for it on eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Ouch. Look for it on eBay...
    Good plan! It apparently went from Houston to somewhere in Florida, rather than its intended destination of LA
    I dread to think what the extra 3,000 miles could do to it...

If anyone was thinking of using Pilot Freight, let this be a warning.
    Wanted: ASR33 Teletype, TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8340), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Blog Entries

I received a 50lb PDP-11/05 shipped internationally from the USA that arrived with a layer of bubble wrap and piece of cardboard taped around it. I had mistakenly assumed the seller would actually take some care in packing.
    Damage done was a broken plastic front grille and the rear metal (handle-shaped) spacer bent. Both repaired now, but shouldn't have been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 1944GPW View Post
    I received a 50lb PDP-11/05 shipped internationally from the USA that arrived with a layer of bubble wrap and piece of cardboard taped around it. I had mistakenly assumed the seller would actually take some care in packing.
    Damage done was a broken plastic front grille and the rear metal (handle-shaped) spacer bent. Both repaired now, but shouldn't have been that way.
    Eesh. Still, that's better than I would've thought it would turn out. No damage to the front panel or cards?

I had an over 100lb (with the dual 500W PSUs and all the 9 slots filled) IBM 8274-900 shipped from Canada. Despite being well packaged and built on a steel frame with thick alloy side and back plates, it arrived crushed on top. Someone must have stacked a small outline but extremely heavy object on top of it to buckle both the top, side and back plates and twist the frame members to which they were attached.