Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: An all new experience in stupid packaging!!

  1. #1

    Angry An all new experience in stupid packaging!!

    I just received in the mail a piece of computer equipment with enough mass that it just doesn't be dropped on the floor. It arrived wrapped in bubble wrap inside a plastic shipping bag (the kind meant for documents or maybe cloth items, I think). Here's the kicker: The bubble wrap was wound back on itself and not taped. So upon firmly grasping it to remove it from the bag, it squirted out of my hand, sending said computer device shooting into the floor with great force. The way the bubble wrap was wrapped, there was no way to prevent this.

    Of all the stupid packaging methods I've seen, I think this one takes the cake.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    "a plastic shipping bag"

    I've gotten two things in the past week where eBay cheapskates took six Priority Mail bags and some Fedex Plastic bags
    and packed one inside of another, and wrapped it in with clear tape.

    Now, how the heck are you supposed to OPEN this without cutting into something inside?

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    "a plastic shipping bag"

    I've gotten two things in the past week where eBay cheapskates took six Priority Mail bags and some Fedex Plastic bags
    and packed one inside of another, and wrapped it in with clear tape.

    Now, how the heck are you supposed to OPEN this without cutting into something inside?
    Turn them into the post office. This is clearly misuse of their free mailers.
    Dwight

  4. #4

    Default

    Well, picture this: The bag was completely covered in what looked like ground up bug carcasses! So in addition to carefully slashing at it with a sharp knife without slicing the internals, I had insect parts and the kind of dirt that always goes with them getting all over the place!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Turn them into the post office. This is clearly misuse of their free mailers.
    Dwight
    This is very true. It's actually a federal offence!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    2,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    The bag was completely covered in what looked like ground up bug carcasses!
    And inside, the bubble wrap was that special oily kind that comes from China that reeks of VOHs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    3,302

    Default

    How about those USPS padded bags that use finely shredded paper as a layer of padding? If you cut or tear anywhere except a specific spot designated for opening, crap will get everywhere and make a huge mess. I regularly have to cut off mailing labels for a specific purpose, and I have to waste time cleaning everything up each time I get one of those.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    This is very true. It's actually a federal offence!
    You have to have a major hate to do that. I don’t know how many things I’ve received off of Ebay with that type of packaging. I would not have a problem with them charging something reasonable AND still keep their policy to get people to stop being wasteful.

    Everyone here no doubt has their own shipping horror stories. EVERY SINGLE THING I’ve received damaged was due to idiotic/careless packaging, and the rarer (not necessarily the most expensive) stuff is always the worst.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Principality of Xeon (NJ)
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    I once sent a brass handmade model steam engine to Japan wrapped in only bubble wrap. What was I thinking?!! Granted it was inside a box with it's own molded soft styrofoam. It looked kind of like a Nerf football. It arrived intact, buyer left positive feedback.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I once sent a brass handmade model steam engine to Japan wrapped in only bubble wrap. What was I thinking?!! Granted it was inside a box with it's own molded soft styrofoam. It looked kind of like a Nerf football. It arrived intact, buyer left positive feedback.
    I’ve done that also, expensive on a large object, but it works. But I’ve received 10 pound objects wrapped in a SINGLE SHEET (1-ply) of bubble wrap, as though it was a magical force field against harm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •