Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are you willing to pay for a non working computer?

Default what are you willing to pay for a non working computer?

You've always wanted one. You feel you know enough to maybe hopefully get it working again. The seller, of course is asking too much, evidenced by the item just sitting fallow. So you intend to make an offer, but don't want to PO the seller. How much will you offer?

Of course it depends on tbe item. Think of something that's seldom seen, but that doesn't mean necessarily expensive. Some things don't enjoy the same recognition as big ticket items, but are actually far more rare.

Blog Entries

I'd happily pay $5 for a non-working Cray I.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'd happily pay $5 for a non-working Cray I.
    Plus shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Plus shipping?
    Are you crazy? No one has that kind of money...
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I just went through this with a seller (actually the price wasn't unreasonable but no one was buying it). He was asking $100 for each, I offered 75$ each for 2 Motorola 68B09 Exorset boards. He accepted probably because they sat for so long. Now the original price was a reasonable price for the boards but because they say I offered. Worse he could say is no and I'd have to buy one at regular price.

I have paid $325 for a non working machine. Not proud of how much I paid, but I wouldn't sell the thing either. I have for the most part gotten most of my collection at a decent price if I average it all out. The Lisa 2 was too much, but... things happen. The Lisa was fully working however.

I think it boils down to the availability of parts or components necessary to fix the system, plus the rarity of the system. The only thing that overrides those two is sentimental value. How bad do you want the PC?

What is the value of money? Price inflation and savings depreciation mess with your head. How much (does your wife say you) can afford to spend? Do you know there's a quick fix? Must you really have it? The considerations are many and varied.

I've paid many thousands, before shipping from the U.S., for a fully working mainframe that I had to have. My first personal computer cost $2,500 excluding peripherals, shipping etc., way back in the '80s.

Then there are some that are so rare that it doesn't matter if it works or not. Just the fact that it didn't go to some recycler.

Xerox 860 (for example) in excellent shape.

Depends on the machine. I've bought nonworking parts machines to finish either personal projects or projects for other hobbyists that cost a significant bit, like parts bucket Altairs. I typically buy nonworking though, not just because it's cheaper, but because I like fixing old computers!