Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.25" external SCSI enclosure WTB

Default 5.25" external SCSI enclosure WTB

Looking for an enclosure suitable for a SCSI CDROM. Working integral power supply is a plus, would prefer interchangeable back plates for the SCSI connectors or the centronics type built in. RCA audio jacks a plus. Thanks!

I've got an old case from a SCSI CD drive I bought. The case looks a bit like the Apple 600e cases but shorter. It's got left and right audio jacks and the Centronics style connectors, but I don't have the 12-volt power supply.

Don't really have a use for it anymore.

Maybe you should look for an IBM 3510-001 (PS/2 related) or 7210-001 or -015 (RS/6000 related).

e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM...I/193118899362

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Looking for an enclosure suitable for a SCSI CDROM. Working integral power supply is a plus, would prefer interchangeable back plates for the SCSI connectors or the centronics type built in. RCA audio jacks a plus. Thanks!
    never seen one with interchangeable plates...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    There was an IBM Option for the 3510 to change the Centronics 50 connectors for one of either the SCSI-2 HD50 or HD68 (I forget which) for use with a hard drive. It included the blanking faceplate as well. DDS2 or DDS3 DAT drives were also supported in the 3510 enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    It's actually very common. Take this random picture of an enclosure I found from ebay as an example:
    s-l1602.jpg

Notice how the HD-68 connectors actually screw into sheet metal inserts that have additional screw bosses on them to attach to the case. These screw bosses are the same distance apart as those on the original centronics-type connectors as shown here:
    s-l1601.jpg

Notice also how the enclosure is cut for the locking tabs on the centronics-type connectors, despite being equipped with HD-68 connectors.

There are a wide variety of cables with mounting plates available out there, all conforming to the same physical dimensions. HD-50, HD-68, etc. Everyone I've ever come across has fit the same bolt pattern and opening.
    s-l1600.jpg
    Here's an example of the same mounting plate in HD-50 trim:
    s-l500.jpg
    Last edited by maxtherabbit; November 18th, 2019 at 02:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Max,

I have a Toshiba TXM3401E1 external SCSI CD-ROM and case with cable and power cord setting on a parts shelf. It's in a zip bag and I really don't know or remember how I acquired it. Don't know if it works and I don't have a SCSI system setup to check it. Looks like this one: https://www.recycledgoods.com/toshib...optical-drive/

Not for sale but willing to trade if interested.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Max,

I have a Toshiba TXM3401E1 external SCSI CD-ROM and case with cable and power cord setting on a parts shelf. It's in a zip bag and I really don't know or remember how I acquired it. Don't know if it works and I don't have a SCSI system setup to check it. Looks like this one: https://www.recycledgoods.com/toshib...optical-drive/

Not for sale but willing to trade if interested.
    what kind of stuff are you looking for in trade?

Blog Entries

what kind of stuff are you looking for in trade?
    I'm looking for a 386 mobo with PGA. Can't use one with the chip wave soldered to the board. Don't need the CPU or RAM either.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I'm looking for a 386 mobo with PGA. Can't use one with the chip wave soldered to the board. Don't need the CPU or RAM either.
    I don't have one of those, sorry