Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5140 thermal fuse replacement?

Default IBM 5140 thermal fuse replacement?

So, I'm rebuilding my 5140's battery pack. The thermal fuse was too corroded to transplant, though, and i couldn't read the label. Anyone know what I'm looking for? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    So, I'm rebuilding my 5140's battery pack. The thermal fuse was too corroded to transplant, though, and i couldn't read the label. Anyone know what I'm looking for? Thanks!

Care to document the process? I.e. what cells you used, where yo acquired, etc... I need to tthis at some time myself and it would be nice to have some pointers
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Care to document the process? I.e. what cells you used, where yo acquired, etc... I need to tthis at some time myself and it would be nice to have some pointers
    I second this. I have 2 that I want to rebuild myself!

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I second this. I have 2 that I want to rebuild myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Right on. Circuit-wise, the pack is pretty simple - just eight sub-C (or C, failing that, but they won't fit in the original casing) NiCD cells in series with a thermal fuse for protection against excessive heat. These are what I used, per Glitch's suggestion.

Unfortunately, that trend of simplicity doesn't continue with the battery's casing - it's either fused or sealed very well, so you'll likely have to get destructive to get inside. If you have a Dremel tool it ought not be too hard to gain access to the actual battery assembly, but I had to get a little violent. Once you're in, trim off the original connectors and de-solder the thermal fuse if it's salvageable. You'll want them handy later. (Also, be sure to get the values on that thermal fuse for me. You arguably don't need the thermal fuse, but it's probably better to be safe than sorry.)

Here's a schematic showing roughly what you're making and how to fit them in the original casing. It's also likely a decent reference as to the stock cell's layouts, but I can't 100% be sure anymore.

Here's my battery - it's ugly since I'm a first timer at making these things, but it works. The compartment itself is also reasonably enclosed, too, so the cell's relative lack of coverage isn't as big of an issue as it could be.

YMMV, but for other early laptops I imagine the reconstruction procedure is similar! Also, shout-out to L. Ohland for his write up on the process.

Nice! Thanks for the info and the diagram. I know Glitch likes his Tenergy batteries. I may have to go with those this time (last time I splurged and went with Eneloop for my rebuild. Unfortunately Eneloop does not make sub-c batteries.... When I crack mine I will look at the thermal switch. What I kick myself for is that I had two battery packs and threw one away many years ago like a fool....
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Eneloop AAA and AA are awesome. Larger sizes, not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Eneloop AAA and AA are awesome. Larger sizes, not as much.
    Why not? They are the exact battery except with a sizer adapter (at least that is what comes in my kit).