Image Map Image Map

Thread: Need: U.K. based SMT repair capability

Default Need: U.K. based SMT repair capability

In general, all my IBM PS/2s and derivatives use Surface Mount Technology, which makes it nigh on impossible to find someone who'll undertake the work to replace defective chips, or capacitors. Sockets are sometimes present (or not) for BIOS and/or firmware chips.

The primary need is for Floppy Drive re-capacitoring and Floppy Disk Controller (Intel 82077AA or 82077SL) replacement. I believe there exist surface mount (68-pin?) sockets to suit the PLCC versions of the FDCs, that would be a better solution, IMHO.

Blog Entries

Machines like the Atari that have PLCC sockets suffer from other problems. Sockets are not the answer. ChipQuick will let you get SMT off. Caps are fairly easy to replace.

Lots of HackSpaces do SMT but your nearest doesn't seem too

https://www.shmakerspace.org/

also worth trying local Amateur Radio clubs. Often someone there does SMT repair....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Thanks Dave,

I didn't know about ChipQuick, as I'm a reluctant solderer and usually look for someone to do that sort of thing. Getting old and shaky too, so soldering on a new chip or socket would be a challenge with such tiny inter-contact spacing. I could practice on something I can willingly sacrifice to the god of solder.

I missed the recent Guildford MakerSpace repair workshop (Nov 9th), but they may come around once a month. I'll check out your other ideas too.

Cheers, Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Thanks Dave,

I didn't know about ChipQuick, as I'm a reluctant solderer and usually look for someone to do that sort of thing. Getting old and shaky too, so soldering on a new chip or socket would be a challenge with such tiny inter-contact spacing. I could practice on something I can willingly sacrifice to the god of solder.

I missed the recent Guildford MakerSpace repair workshop (Nov 9th), but they may come around once a month. I'll check out your other ideas too.

Cheers, Tim
    To resolder a clamp is useful. Simplest is a a "U" on its side with a knitting needle and a spring to hold the component in place.....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals