Image Map Image Map

Thread: Socket 603 604 gaming anyone?

Default Socket 603 604 gaming anyone?

How good would a Socket 603 or Socket 604 Xeon system work for a retro Windows XP gaming system? Any fans out there who've tried it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    How good would a Socket 603 or Socket 604 Xeon system work for a retro Windows XP gaming system? Any fans out there who've tried it?
    Check the Wiki out for the Xeon. I wouldn't use it for a gamer unless it was dropped in my lap, but it would probably work out okay. Here's some thoughts from Tom's: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thre...puting.187148/
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Socket 603/604 are VERY old, 603 being the first socket after Slot 2. Most boards are dual socket and mostly PCI/PCIX but there are 604 boards with AGP Pro and probably PCIE 1.0.

603's are single core I think and you can find dual core 604 CPUs. THink they are Netburst cores (P4 era) so much slower then a cheap Core2duo chip.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Which motherboard are you planning on using? Dual socket Pentium 4 Xeons did result in a fairly mediocre XP gaming experience. It was better than the mainstream Pentium 4 at the same time but two years later, it would be a challenge to find a Core 2 Duo system that didn't out perform any Xeon Pentium 4 setup. The later return of Socket 604 with quad socket Core 2 quad and hex core chips were amazing servers for their year. I don't remember seeing quad socket motherboards with good video slots so utility in gaming might be a bit limited.

Who do you know that hates you so much as to give you a Socket 604 system?

Blog Entries

I do have one socket 603 server board in my collection that I got super cheap but its not being used at the moment. I prefer old dual Opteron boards that have AGP Pro.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

IBM had the x3850 series, up to 4 x 6 core 604 xeons. You could gang 4 of those servers together through a proprietary interface and have a 96 core server ... at idle though it would draw an insane amount of ppower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwqWAzkdmQ&app=desktop

That thing vies for one of most interesting boxes I've ever seen. I guess you could still find a deal. Parts for something like that will likely seem to be available through eternity.

As a gamer, probably shouldnt be your first choice. 604 predates 771 even. As much as I kind of want to have 1, I think my time is better spent playing with newer toys.

Socket 603/604 server boards are probably the worst retro system you could build. All of socket 603 and the majority of socket 604 Xeons were based on the Netburst architecture. They were slow and even more power hungry than their desktop counterparts since TDP was less of a concern. The Paxville dual core Xeons had some of the highest power consumption figures of any Netburst based CPU at ~185W. I've worked with these CPUs, you need serious cooling hardware to run them, the heatsinks for these parts in servers I worked on were like 5-10 pounds of pure copper with 8000 RPM delta fans.

I had a Super Micro X5DPL-iGM dual socket 604 for a number of years with dual Xeon MP 3200s and it used around 300W idle and 400-500W under load. Even with having two CPUs and four threads, it was a pig at just about everything but disk I/O since it had an Ultra320 SCSI controller and six 15k RPM SCSI drives. I kept the drives and controller and got rid of the server since it was basically worthless. People were dumping those old servers by the pallet full on Ebay for years for cheap because nobody wanted them.

Intel did a weird revival of socket 604 in 2007/2008 with newer Core 2 based parts, which may be worth something since they went up to 6 cores. Though these newer 604 boards had different chipsets and the old 604 boards from 2005 couldn't run these new parts, so finding a board for these newer CPUs could be a bit tricky. You'd have to run Windows Server 2003 x64 though if you plan to scale past two sockets because Windows XP doesn't support more than two physical CPU sockets.