Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the BRAVE web browser?

Blog Entries

Default Anyone tried the BRAVE web browser?

I've been playing with the beta on Linux and it's pretty fast. Seems to be based on Chromium. Curious about other impressions.

https://brave.com

As far as I understand, it's basically an attempt to kick-start a bunch of scammy cryptocurrency shenanigans by dressing them up in a trendy veneer of anti-tracking sentiment. Might as well just use Chromium plus ad-blockers and skip the BS, if a gussied-up Chrome is what you want.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

I'm more interested in the speed than anything--and it does seem to be fast. (FWIW, I have Chromium and it's not nearly as fast).

There should be many things faster than chromium. Unfortunately I can't find any since OWB that actually worked. I haven't tried Brave; maybe I should. But I'm tired of browsers that are very fast but don't display a working modern page. Otherwise I may as well use IBrowse. There never was a better non-CSS browser. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    But I'm tired of browsers that are very fast but don't display a working modern page.
    This. Speed is one thing, another is to actually allow the user to do everything he wants.

Blog Entries

Everyone has their gripes about browsers (I could make a list of my own).

But my query was about someone's actual experience with Brave, thank you.

Blog Entries

My experience with Brave is that it is fast, but it is no faster than running generic Chrome + ublock origin to block ads. So why not just use Brave? Because Brave is fast because it blocks ads... then replaces some ads with their own ads. This is noted on their website but is, IMO, morally worse than just letting the original ads through. So I don't use Brave.

One feature of Brave that I miss is being able to connect to TOR when needing anonymity and security. Speeds were nearly unusable, but neat to have it integrated into the browser. But I couldn't trust Brave to not inject their own ads, so I don't use it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    One feature of Brave that I miss is being able to connect to TOR when needing anonymity and security. Speeds were nearly unusable, but neat to have it integrated into the browser. But I couldn't trust Brave to not inject their own ads, so I don't use it.
    You're probably best off not trusting *any* browser to fully anonymize your activity through a TOR wrapper/plugin/whatever. Everything leaks, accidentally or not.

Blog Entries

Especially a browser that replaces adverts.

I didn't trust it for anything; just found it fun to play with.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    My experience with Brave is that it is fast, but it is no faster than running generic Chrome + ublock origin to block ads. So why not just use Brave? Because Brave is fast because it blocks ads... then replaces some ads with their own ads. This is noted on their website but is, IMO, morally worse than just letting the original ads through. So I don't use Brave.

Not busting your horns, but why is it morally worse to block most adds and only allow their own? To the end user this seems to be preferred over allowing 10x10^9 other entities to harass you. It's the end result that matters. I don't care about an individuals morality, and if they're skanky or even hypocritical.