Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the BRAVE web browser?

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Good luck running an email server in 2020. You'll be blacklisted within hours of every time you spend 400 man hours getting off the black list.
    Been running one since 1999 and on this IP since 2011. Only had to get a block removed from one provider with a very aggressive blocklist, and to their credit, they did so within 24 hours. Otherwise no problems.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

I ran one (rather large one) from 2001~2008 and only had to deal with it twice. But I've heard (maybe this is wrong) that if you start up a new one without any history, it's all too easy to get blacklisted.

When I had to get unblacklisted, it wasn't easy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I ran one (rather large one) from 2001~2008 and only had to deal with it twice. But I've heard (maybe this is wrong) that if you start up a new one without any history, it's all too easy to get blacklisted.

When I had to get unblacklisted, it wasn't easy.
    I also ran out own email server at work for approximately that length of time. ~300 mailboxes, 2008 - 2016. We got black listed about once a quarter. It was trivial to get us unblacklisted. It took more time to work out who blacklisted us then asking them to undo it, which in 99% of cases was as simple as sending an email to them or filling out their online form. I can think of only one time where I had to explain why I wanted to unblacklist our IPs. The biggest issue with running a mail server on a consumer based ISP is the port 25 blocking and the fact that your IP will be blocked just because it's registers with that ISP as their consumer block.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

@JL - A rather horrid Fandroid device. I left out phones and tablets. And that disgusting Chromebook I bought recently. The only thing it has going for it is it opens flat (Lenovo).

There's just so many sheep in the world. An old acquaintance's mother quit the hair dressing business and got a job at Best Buy. I walked in there today, found a couple of Windows 8 era s/w titles dirt cheap, so I bought them. I asked her if the prices were accurate. She almost spoke disparigingly of the fact that they weren't Windows 10 versions (if they're still around even). This woman has her house stacked to the rafters with smart bulbs and every other snooping mechanism you can think of. You just mention Amazon and she practically drools.

It reminds me of those home internet devices/services from the early 00's where they'd give you the device or give you free dialup and then force ads on you to make their money. Why would I use that when I know how to use an actual browser? The only reason I can think of why it exists in the first place is because Google is going to make it impossible to use adblock of any kind on Chrome. At least the other chrome-based browsers don't seem to be forced to follow suit, but at this point the only two browser families left are Chrome and Firefox. I picked Firefox twenty years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    It reminds me of those home internet devices/services from the early 00's where they'd give you the device or give you free dialup and then force ads on you to make their money. Why would I use that when I know how to use an actual browser? The only reason I can think of why it exists in the first place is because Google is going to make it impossible to use adblock of any kind on Chrome. At least the other chrome-based browsers don't seem to be forced to follow suit, but at this point the only two browser families left are Chrome and Firefox. I picked Firefox twenty years ago.
    I've been using ADBlock (free) with Google Chrome for some time now, and it seems to be okay.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    There's just so many sheep in the world. An old acquaintance's mother quit the hair dressing business and got a job at Best Buy. I walked in there today, found a couple of Windows 8 era s/w titles dirt cheap, so I bought them. I asked her if the prices were accurate. She almost spoke disparigingly of the fact that they weren't Windows 10 versions (if they're still around even). This woman has her house stacked to the rafters with smart bulbs and every other snooping mechanism you can think of. You just mention Amazon and she practically drools.
    Technically Windows 8 software is windows 10 software.. it's the same architecture, only the UI is different. (yes, there's also the privacy stuff you can hate, but it doesn't change that overall it's the same OS except the UI in win 8.0 (not 8.1) is unusable)

Funny you find fault with the fact that the lady is proficient in modern technology but i actually think it's a nice change. I'm constantly helping older relatives who can barely use technology at all... I've all but stopped helping them when their win xp and older machines become infected with malware... I really wish they just used a Chromebook honestly.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA, TS 1000

I've never tried Brave, but I do often use the Dissenter browser, which is a fork of Brave with some built-in extensions.

I've never had any trouble with scammy skeeviness from it.
    -- Lee

If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot.
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci PDS, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Old Serial Terminals (TRS-80 DT-1 in particular), TRS-80 Model 4

I think real anti-tracking is using something so old and slow that the tracking scripts won't even work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I've been using ADBlock (free) with Google Chrome for some time now, and it seems to be okay.
    U-Block Origin is far superior in my findings. More versatile too in what it can be programmed to block.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet