Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandon Full Height drive troubleshooting..

I did the 4 or 5 MHZ switch on my Kaypro II with a 6MHZ Z80 CPU, and it runs fine in either position.
    I typically leave it in the 4 MHZ position because I can't tell much difference in the 5 MHZ speed.

Larry

I've got some modern CMOS Z80's around here that are 10 or 20 MHz, but for some reason I just want to stick with the original. I think there was another point of failure that needed to be capable, the EEPROM I think? I'm pretty satisfied with the 4MHz, it is night and day better than the 2.5MHz and feels much better than 60% faster for some reason. I ordered a GoTek to play with, so I might see what I can do with that too, but now that both drives are working well it is a nice configuration.

Yes, I've been trying to get back to working on the GOTEK's that I bought. I have one working on my
    Linux Box, so I can run MSDOS. And I have several more to Upgrade. I'm going to do that this winter,
    because I would like one for my Kaypro and another for my TRS-80 Model 4.

I think the Other Upgrade would be a faster EPROM. Some of the Older units didn't have a fast
    enough rating. I purchased the Micro Cornucopia PRO8 Monitor ROM and the Character Set
    Generator for mine. I think I even copied those so I would have a backup.

Larry

I'm guessing your performance is governed by I/O. The floppy, and to a lesser degree the CRT, operate at fixed frequencies. You might see scaling beyond 4MHz for things that were compute-intensive, as well as harddisk I/O.
    - Doug