Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: unlocked phones

Default unlocked phones

What are the pros and cons of a factory unlocked phones? So far all I can see is not having a lot of vendor specific crap preloaded. And maybe that's a good thing. Are they easier to root or is that not a given necessarily?

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    What are the pros and cons of a factory unlocked phones? So far all I can see is not having a lot of vendor specific crap preloaded. And maybe that's a good thing. Are they easier to root or is that not a given necessarily?
    There are two types of "unlocked", carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked. Bootloader unlocked can be rooted, carrier unlocked only means it can be used on any carrier with supported bands (GSM, because cdma - even if it's unlocked, it has to be pre-approved to work on their Network).

Mind you, rooted phones typically are restricted from running many apps by their developers... things like Netflix (DRM), Banking apps, mobile payments, etc. so be prepared to not be able to run some things, even though you'll be able to run other things.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

It's dirt simple to unroot any time you want to run one of those picky apps.

That isn't true. Some phones, a fair number actually, cannot be rooted with the usual methods, if at all.

The inability to run certain apps doesn't bother me one bit. I no longer bank or pay bills online, haven't for a couple years.

So ... if your boot loader is locked and none of the usual apps/methods fail, you probably won't be successful rooting a phone without a screwdriver and soldering iron? And factory "unlocked" phones are no easier to root then the average carrier specific phone?

What's not true? If you want a phone you can root, you must research this before buying it. I won't buy any phone that can't be rooted.

But any phone that's easily rootable still needs to have the bootloader unlocked. Sometimes this too is easy.

yes, as i mentioned in my earlier post, any phone that is bootloader unlocked can be rooted... carrier unlocked is totally different and has nothing to do with rooting.

Side note, while kc9udx is correct that is easy to root and unroot, there are issues with unlocking and relocking the bootloader. In order to root a phone, you have to unlock the bootloader first (and it has to be a bootloader unlockable phone - pixel or oneplus are a couple examples). The problem these days arises that some apps will not even work it's the bootloader is unlocked, and the act of locking and unlocking phones requires a full reset which is a problem. I unlocked my pixel 3 recently and just the act of unlocking the phone made apps both not show up in the play store and even if you side loaded the apps, it was 50/50 whether it worked or not.

If you don't care about payment or video apps, then great, but just giving the warning to folks that there are limitations either way and just depends on what is important to you. Back in the day it was great, you would unlock your phone, root it, and install custom roms and it was usually a better experience. that's not really the case anymore. In any case, xda developers forum is a better place for this topic and researching phones/roms/etc.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    In the UK "pay as you go" are usually carrier locked, but cheaper than the unlocked version as you pay via the contract. These days one advantage is that several carriers don't support WiFi calling except on the carrier specific firmware.

If you travel carrier locked are PITA as you can't just slip in a local SIM for cheap in-country calls and data and you may pay more for the phone.

So pros and cons to both. As I have a house in spain as well as the UK I sometimes need a Spanish mobile number, mostly for deliveries as many won't deliver without a local mobile so I have an unlocked Sony XA1 with dual sim but I don't get the WiFi calling which would be useful as the network is signal is pathetic in my UK house...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I yoosta use FreedomPop which supported calling over WiFi. Since switching to H2O, which doesn't support it, I installed a (pricey) cellular repeater in my house, and went from almost never to almost always, for cellular calls/texts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I yoosta use FreedomPop which supported calling over WiFi. Since switching to H2O, which doesn't support it, I installed a (pricey) cellular repeater in my house, and went from almost never to almost always, for cellular calls/texts.
    Cellular repeaters seem unobtainium in the UK except for business users. They used to be supplied by some mobile operators but they all seem to have vanished...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Cellular repeaters seem unobtainium in the UK except for business users. They used to be supplied by some mobile operators but they all seem to have vanished...
    You can't buy these? (I don't know much about your RF regs outside the amateur service).