Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unlocked phones

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    You can't buy these? (I don't know much about your RF regs outside the amateur service).
    Oh it is pretty draconian and unless supplied by a network operator such devices are illegal. Even amateur radio here is very restrictive compared to US. So no WinLink for example.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Oh it is pretty draconian and unless supplied by a network operator such devices are illegal. Even amateur radio here is very restrictive compared to US. So no WinLink for example.
    I'm sorry to hear that. My link disappeared, so my post made less sense, but if you can't have it, you can't have it.

https://www.weboost.com/

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

The reception in your area is so lousy you had to spend 400-1000$ for a booster?

Incidentally, and it's been 2-3 months, but I think my freedomplop phones may still be able to call each other, but not make/receive calls to other phones. I have to make a point of trying it next week. Not that I care. I swore I was going to melt them down with thermite. But I figure I'm better off dismantling them.

Yes, it is. You should see the maps: My house is in a one square mile dead zone. This is a consequence of the cell companies directing their signals to the population centres around me.
    When I had FreedomPop, this was a non-issue because I could call/text over WiFi. The alternative to spending $1000 one time on a repeater, was to spend $150/month extra on mainstream phone service that allows WiFi calling with their special permission. It wasn't a tough choice.

I still have every phone I bought from FreedomPop. None of them has cell service anymore. I've "recycled" all the SIM cards. But these old phones still work well over WiFi. Some of them are getting old and "unsupported" so a lot of things don't work anymore. But I can still do what I usually do on the web (such as writing this post), and I can control most of the computers on my network via VNC. I basically have graphical terminals that I can fit in my pocket. I just now did the Microsoft phone activation thing using one. I don't get phone service where the computer is even with the repeater. But I can take a "spare phone-VNC terminal" to a different part of the house where I can make calls with my main phone. (I have a wired phone system here but it uses Google Voice. Google has decided that I cannot do this anymore.). Fortunately I'm not an AI or I would have had a really hard time with the "are you in front of the computer you're activating?" prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Ofcom legalised unlicenced repeaters in 2018 as long as they meet standards.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom...hone-repeaters

Blog Entries

Yes, it is. You should see the maps: My house is in a one square mile dead zone. This is a consequence of the cell companies directing their signals to the population centres around me.
    When I had FreedomPop, this was a non-issue because I could call/text over WiFi. The alternative to spending $1000 one time on a repeater, was to spend $150/month extra on mainstream phone service that allows WiFi calling with their special permission. It wasn't a tough choice.

I still have every phone I bought from FreedomPop. None of them has cell service anymore. I've "recycled" all the SIM cards. But these old phones still work well over WiFi. Some of them are getting old and "unsupported" so a lot of things don't work anymore. But I can still do what I usually do on the web (such as writing this post), and I can control most of the computers on my network via VNC. I basically have graphical terminals that I can fit in my pocket. I just now did the Microsoft phone activation thing using one. I don't get phone service where the computer is even with the repeater. But I can take a "spare phone-VNC terminal" to a different part of the house where I can make calls with my main phone. (I have a wired phone system here but it uses Google Voice. Google has decided that I cannot do this anymore.). Fortunately I'm not an AI or I would have had a really hard time with the "are you in front of the computer you're activating?" prompt.
    I truly admire the tenacity here on the forum of those who have gone the distance in order to beat Ma Bell out of a few bucks. Repeaters, computers, standing on one foot in the backyard facing west; all to make a simple phone call. When you freebie phone types get it going it's always a fun read. As for me, I'm just an old capitalistic sorry son of a sea cook, who doesn't hesitate to fork over $25 a month to my provider so I can do just about everything one can do on a phone network.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I truly admire the tenacity here on the forum of those who have gone the distance in order to beat Ma Bell out of a few bucks. Repeaters, computers, standing on one foot in the backyard facing west; all to make a simple phone call. When you freebie phone types get it going it's always a fun read. As for me, I'm just an old capitalistic sorry son of a sea cook, who doesn't hesitate to fork over $25 a month to my provider so I can do just about everything one can do on a phone network.
    Tom, once again, I've got to agree with every word you said.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I had no problem with Ma Bell. Capitalist? Ma Bell was "anti-capitalist", that's why she isn't. Where in the USA can you get POTS for $25? You can scarcely get POTS at all anymore. I never wanted free phone service. I always paid for the FreedomPop service except when I bought a new phone, the old one went on the free plan. Who wants to pay for service they don't really use?

I pay more than $25 now, for a solution that *works*. POTS here was close to $100/month last time I checked. I don't really need to get a second job just to have something I use every couple of months (at best).

Blog Entries

I had no problem with Ma Bell. Capitalist? Ma Bell was "anti-capitalist", that's why she isn't. Where in the USA can you get POTS for $25? You can scarcely get POTS at all anymore. I never wanted free phone service. I always paid for the FreedomPop service except when I bought a new phone, the old one went on the free plan. Who wants to pay for service they don't really use?

I pay more than $25 now, for a solution that *works*. POTS here was close to $100/month last time I checked. I don't really need to get a second job just to have something I use every couple of months (at best).
    I used "Ma Bell" as a metaphor for the phone industry as a whole. Make no mistake that Bell was not capitalistic, as they were the very best at what they provided and made a lot of money for the themselves as well as investors; i.e., the very definition of capitalism. What went wrong was they went afoul of the antitrust rules of the time, meaning others wanted a piece of the pie as well. POTUS or cellular, it's all the same in the end; you call from point 'A' to point 'B'. Ask yourself what other commercial entity could even approach their successes at that time. Think Mickey Mouse and Princess phones.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Ma Bell went from being a government owned Monopoly, to a bunch of government enforced private monopolies. None of this is capitalism. At least not free-market capitalism. I guess you can have closed-market capitalism, by your definition, I suppose. If that's true, though, the USSR was very capitalist, too.

I was very much in favour of the breakup of Ma Bell. In retrospect, I'm very regretful of that. Everything about it was better before the breakup.

POTS (not Trump ) does not do everything cellular does, not for the last twenty years. I cannot get text messages via POTS, nor can I post this reply, as I am, twenty miles from home, via POTS. I almost never make phone calls; Only as a last resort. This is 2019, the telegraph service ended fifteen years ago, unfortunately.