Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unlocked phones

By the way, installing a cell repeater was hardly an act of acrobatics for me. It was just a side bonus of regular antenna maintenance. Unfortunately I have to go back up there because when I did that, I didn't have a spare balun to replace one that I found which was waterlogged. I'm actually scared to go on the roof though. I had an all-too interesting experience the last time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Ma Bell went from being a government owned Monopoly, to a bunch of government enforced private monopolies. None of this is capitalism. At least not free-market capitalism. I guess you can have closed-market capitalism, by your definition, I suppose. If that's true, though, the USSR was very capitalist, too.

I was very much in favour of the breakup of Ma Bell. In retrospect, I'm very regretful of that. Everything about it was better before the breakup.

POTS (not Trump ) does not do everything cellular does, not for the last twenty years. I cannot get text messages via POTS, nor can I post this reply, as I am, twenty miles from home, via POTS. I almost never make phone calls; Only as a last resort. This is 2019, the telegraph service ended fifteen years ago, unfortunately.
    You can't be serious. Do you ever proofread before hitting the [Post Quick Reply]. I don't ever recall the feds owning any share in Bell or AT&T, then or now, and I don't believe anyone else does either. Question: Why were you in favor of the breakup? Did you see something better on the horizon? So, if we all follow your model, we should just give up the mics and speakers and just simply text? USSR?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I don't ever recall the feds owning any share in Bell or AT&T, then or now, and I don't believe anyone else does either.
    SBC bought AT&T in 2005 and then changed its name to AT&T.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    SBC bought AT&T in 2005 and then changed its name to AT&T.
    Yeah - but the feds didn't have anything to do with either one of them.

I read every post two or three times. Sometimes there are still errors, sometimes I miss them, sometimes I just don't care to edit.

When you're in bed with Uncle Sam, Uncle Sam owns you, no matter what you believe. You don't get to one-up large governments.

It seems to me that you think that you know how everyone else should live. It seems to me that 90% of the people walking this planet think this way. Maybe it's just our culture. This has never made any sense at all to me. I don't ever tell anyone what they should do. I might tell you what I do. But that doesn't mean I think you should. I don't care much what anyone does. But this is a deflection: I stand by what I said. In 2019, phone calls are a very small portion of what people do with phones. Even if that were false, it's just plain silly to say that you can do everything with a POTS phone that you can do with a cell phone. Sure, you can do what you want to do, but this is a subset of what you can do.

I remember the USSR very well, as well as could have been seen from here. It was what every other government is, to the extreme. A small group of people profiting from power. If any profit is capitalist, then that's capitalist. (Not my definition.)

Why was I in favour of the breakup? Did I see something better on the horizon? I'll answer both:. I am vehemently against monopolies, and government enforced monopolies all the more. I thought that the breakup would mean freedom from government control, and that would mean market based-control. But clearly that didn't happen. What we ended up with was a multitude of government-controlled monopolies, competing against each other. No free market forces involved. Can't make an honest profit? Lobby for a price increase.

Yeah - but the feds didn't have anything to do with either one of them.
    Exactly...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

In 2019, phone calls are a very small portion of what people do with phones.
    Generally speaking you are probably correct but that couldn't be further from the truth here.

We have two POTS lines and they can only be used for voice calls.

We have two cell phones that are turned off 95% - 99% of the time and when they are on they are mainly used for phone calls.

IOW, these four phones are used nearly exclusively for phone calls.

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

I truly admire the tenacity here on the forum of those who have gone the distance in order to beat Ma Bell out of a few bucks. Repeaters, computers, standing on one foot in the backyard facing west; all to make a simple phone call. When you freebie phone types get it going it's always a fun read. As for me, I'm just an old capitalistic sorry son of a sea cook, who doesn't hesitate to fork over $25 a month to my provider so I can do just about everything one can do on a phone network.
    I spend 25$ a month for all the voice/text I can eat. But I am devising devious ways to scarf internets when there's no WiFi. Its loads of fun.

When I originally read your post I was going to demand you watch your language. Sometimes o's look lime c's if you read too fast. But then I said he can call dad (mom?) whatever he wants. My dad was a radio operator. He was the only person aboard a ship once that understood fox code. Supposedly saved everyone on that ship, including his own German Irish keester. I do not think he could cook to save his life though.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I spend 25$ a month for all the voice/text I can eat. But I am devising devious ways to scarf internets when there's no WiFi. Its loads of fun.

When I originally read your post I was going to demand you watch your language. Sometimes o's look lime c's if you read too fast. But then I said he can call dad (mom?) whatever he wants. My dad was a radio operator. He was the only person aboard a ship once that understood fox code. Supposedly saved everyone on that ship, including his own German Irish keester. I do not think he could cook to save his life though.
    Anybody got an idea what this is all about?

Blog Entries

When you're in bed with Uncle Sam, Uncle Sam owns you, no matter what you believe.
    Please provide some example(s) of interference.

In 2019, phone calls are a very small portion of what people do with phones.
    How would you know what other people are doing with their phones?

. . . it's just plain silly to say that you can do everything with a POTS phone that you can do with a cell phone.
    I never said that.

I remember the USSR very well, as well as could have been seen from here. It was what every other government is, to the extreme. A small group of people profiting from power. If any profit is capitalist, then that's capitalist. (Not my definition.)
    ? ? ?