Image Map Image Map

Thread: Sugestions for hosting older Wireless products on modern wireless systems.

Default Sugestions for hosting older Wireless products on modern wireless systems.

So I'm looking for some suggestions. I have a wireless B device I need to connect to my modern wireless network. This device can only support WEP. I have an ASUS RT-AC68U Router. As far as I know it doesn't even support WEP. I realize I could piggyback some type of wireless repeater or old router (which I must have a short stack of somewhere). But I really dont want to leave myself open to an intrusion.

I have been wardriving 15 to 20 years ago, I know how easy it is to break WEP using a Linux machine. But I want to get this device online. What do you guys think?

Mick

Just run a separate network with no encryption, or WEP if you really feel you must run *something*. Don't leave it switched on all the time, and maybe don't run DHCP (unsurprisingly, this thwarts a lot of would-be network leeches). I run all of my old stuff on a separate network, if its primary purpose was Internet access and I was going to leave it up all the time, I'd probably also run a proxy server as another layer of deterrence/annoyance.

Running an older wireless router/WAP is really the only good way to do it.

You can reduce the risk of someone hacking into it by doing the following:

1) Turn off SSID broadcasting
    2) Enable MAC filtering and enter the MAC address of the device you want to connect
    3) Reduce the number of available DHCP addresses to 3 (one for the router, one for the device and one for broadcast)
    4) If possible, turn down the power of the antennas so the signal doesn't propagate as far. I believe DD-WRT can do this, but stock router firmware is hit or miss.

You can also enable WEP for further security, even though its easily crackable, your average person isn't going to know how to do it.
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; November 22nd, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Guys. Glitch I get what you are saying about don't leave it on all the time.. but I can be forgetful. I do run mac address filtering now (much to my wifes annoyance... ) You bring up some good points Gigabite. Thanks both. This has given me some ideas to toy with.