Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PET 2001 Sound

Which is essentially what MikeS was saying back in post #9.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Which is essentially what MikeS was saying back in post #9.
    Well yeah, but no one listens to Mike. Until it is too late!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    Well yeah, but no one listens to Mike. Until it is too late!
    Sigh... I'm used to it, here and elsewhere

There's a great audio circuit with a selector switch that Glen Kleinschmidt used in his 2001 clone that I keep meaning to build.
    http://www.glensstuff.com/pet2001/pet2001.htm
    Audio.JPG

Blog Entries

You can add the YM2413, SPO256 speech (or many other devices) to the PET. You can either use the User port, or make the device look like a memory mapped device hanging off the memory expansion bus.

The only issue you will have is that you will have to write your own software for it.

Dave
    From a bit of reading the registers are all memory mapped, so you should be able to POKE it into making sounds directly through the interpreter.
    = Excellent space heater

Of course, but (unless you match the hardware to the requirements for any existing PET software) you are still going to have to ‘roll your own software’.

Back in post #4 the OP was wanting to add sound to existing programs - hence the need to match the hardware to the sound requirements of the existing software.

Dave

Some software (e.g. The Visible Music Monitor) used the much better 8-bit DAC approach like the Petunia and its clones; see P.10:

https://www.tpug.ca/tpug-media/torpe...9_1983_May.pdf

Some other good info in that issue as well.

VMM:

http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c...dio/index.html

Blog Entries

Of course, but (unless you match the hardware to the requirements for any existing PET software) you are still going to have to ‘roll your own software’.

Back in post #4 the OP was wanting to add sound to existing programs - hence the need to match the hardware to the sound requirements of the existing software.
    Whoops, missed that. Here I was thinking he just wanted to add sound because there wasn't any sound supporting software yet.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Whoops, missed that. Here I was thinking he just wanted to add sound because there wasn't any sound supporting software yet.
    Well, it certainly was confusing; he said he wanted to add sound to existing programs and then asked what kind of transducer they used; I assume he was really asking how to connect a speaker/transducer to a program that already had sound built in.

Almost all PET music/sound was done with either the CB2 pin or an A to D converter (usually just a resistor ladder), so if you're going to actually add sound to a program I'd stick with one of those.

Lately there've been different approaches; the PETsynth was one of the more impressive ones but unfortunately the site seems to have expired; I'll have to talk to the owner/author to see if/where it's still available.

m

Quote Originally Posted by dave_m View Post
    To drive an 8 Ohm speaker, you would need to include an amplifier chip, or but since the CB2 line goes out to pin M of the J2 User Port, you could probably use a small external amplifier/speaker connected by a simple home-brew cable. You might want a battery powered speaker so you don't need to bring +5V out of the PET although it is available on the Cassette Port.
    That makes sense. Would a standard PC speaker set (which are amplified) work for this purpose or is the line level wrong?