Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car broke down !

Default car broke down !

Why is it always winter when a car breaks down.

My polo has suffered a rear brake drum failure. Bloody thing looks as if its been partially seized since new and worn to rivets.

Now off road and need to use one of the kids cars to get to work until I can get parts.

But it does show that I must be an oddity. No one else in the street would ever think of working on a car, but I cant bare being ripped of by a dealer.

Just need to work out how to get it back on the drive with no brakes....

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

I feel for you. I just installed all new struts on my car, and 3 months later the suspension is worse then ever. I did a wheel bearing 2 weeks ago, ran on it for a long time, but had this churning noise when I leaned to that side. Well that noise is gone, but it sound absolutely horrific when you bank hard. Everythings getting worse. It only has 160k, and I paid a whole 300$ for that car nearly 4 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Why is it always winter when a car breaks down.
    thermal cycling stresses

I took a car to two places recently to have work done. Why?

-I don't balance tyres, so I went to the local Discount Tyre. I've been there before to have tyres balanced or installed, and I know they do good work. This time was no exception.

-I've got too many other fish to fry and the weather isn't ideal for doing an alignment. Plus, Precise Alignment (a small local shop) can get done in an hour what takes me a whole day. I've been there before a couple of times more than 15 years ago, but I know they do good work, and this time was no exception.

Otherwise, I always do all my own work. I've done it for a living in the past. But I've just always done it. I don't particularly trust most shops. I certainly don't go to dealers, even though I've known some very competent dealer techs.

Why did that brake drum fail in the winter? Because you didn't service it in the summer.

Brakes don't usually prevent a car from being moved. I'm not sure what your predicament is, but I'd help if I wasn't so far away.

The transmission in my car is coming apart

And I'm far too stubborn to repair the one that's in it. I don't like it. So I'm modifying the vehicle to fit a 4 speed gearbox from a much older car. Until then, I'm driving my wife's car (which is more fun to drive in the winter anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Brakes don't usually prevent a car from being moved.

And I'm far too stubborn to repair the one that's in it. I don't like it. So I'm modifying the vehicle to fit a 4 speed gearbox from a much older car. Until then, I'm driving my wife's car (which is more fun to drive in the winter anyway).
    I hope that's not real speed! It really sounds like roller bearings gone, maybe on the layshaft. I'd be scared to drive that.

Anyway, yes, rear brake problems shouldn't prevent you getting it back on the drive, they only act on about 20% of the total braking force. Chock the wheels once it's in place, if you're worried the handbrake/safety brake isn't going to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    thermal cycling stresses
    Lol, maybe

Actually with this, the handbrake has been poor since the car was new, but MOT due and handbrake was getting a bit high so went to adjust it and noticed the balance bar was severely cocked showing the drivers side was massively worn.

Drum so badly worn that the lip would not let it clear the shoes, so had to be hammered off and thats damaged the slave cylinder. So need new drum, new shoes, new slave cylinder. Fortunately got 50% off for a 'Black Friday' purchase (on a Saturday !).

Ho hum. Its also landed on a period not working shifts so need a day of work to sort it. Not only that, the dishwashers heater shorted out yesterday so got one of them on order too.

Wanting to fix everything must be engineers disease.

Why did that brake drum fail in the winter? Because you didn't service it in the summer.

Brakes don't usually prevent a car from being moved. I'm not sure what your predicament is, but I'd help if I wasn't so far away.

Yep, knew it needed something, but it only really bit today. Should have looked at it before. Lesson to self, buy a new car in summer then the MOT runs summer to summer

Cant move the car because one of the drums is off and there is nothing to hold the pistons in the slave cylinder, so if I press the brake they will pop out ! and the handbrake only has one wheel to work on and the balance bar stops that being pulled.

But thank you for the offer

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I hope that's not real speed! It really sounds like roller bearings gone, maybe on the layshaft. I'd be scared to drive that.

Anyway, yes, rear brake problems shouldn't prevent you getting it back on the drive, they only act on about 20% of the total braking force. Chock the wheels once it's in place, if you're worried the handbrake/safety brake isn't going to hold.
    The input bearing on the gearbox (not the flywheel pilot bearing) is likely kaput. I'm not too worried (I did drive it a few months like that, and I'd take it to work again if I had to). If it blows up, it blows up. I'm not sure what I'll do with the gearbox once I remove it. I might rebuild it just to sell it, or I might scrap it.

If your car has a standard gearbox, I might be tempted to drive it and stop it by killing the motor in first gear, or even by letting out the clutch in reverse with the motor running(!). But if you have to drive it far, or on the road, obviously this is problematic.

(Shoulda bought a Vauxhall! )

(Shoulda bought a Vauxhall! )

All my first cars were Vauxhall, from a 1256 Chevette, Astra Mk1 to Manta's (ok, Opel).

Loved them, would buy my Mk1 Astra SR back in an instant if I could find it, but not been MOT'ed for many a year.

Now the bloody dishwasher has stopped heating up !