Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solutions for mounting half height drives in a full height XT bay

Default Solutions for mounting half height drives in a full height XT bay

I recently acquired a half-height floppy drive which is working with my IBM XT but I don't have a way to mount it in the full height drive bay. Can anyone point me to a solution to this? Are there adapter brackets I could find on eBay? So far my searching hasn't turned up anything.

Thanks!

It should fit right in the bottom of the bay. The screws line up.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...IBM-PC-XT-5160 shows the bracket that was used to handle two half height drives in a 5160. Might provide enough information to permit making a duplicate.

If you only install one drive, remember to cover up the resultant gap in the front panel. Otherwise, a lot of dust would be entering the drive which is never good.
    Last edited by krebizfan; November 23rd, 2019 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It should fit right in the bottom of the bay. The screws line up.
    The simple thing for two HH drives would be to bore holes in two sheet metal side plates to stack both drives, then attah the bottom one through the holes already provided in the case.

Thanks all! This is great info

You used to be able to buy adapter plates that did just that. I made a pair out of some thin sheet aluminum from the local "big box" home store. Just make yourself a template using some index card stock or similar, transfer the hole locations to your aluminum sheet and have at it with your tools of choice.

I found that the top drive wanted to sag so I pushed the bezel flush against the PC's chassis before marking the holes.

Good idea! I may try to get a hold of another matching floppy drive and then take this route. For now I have the original HDD and floppy and I'm trailing the floppy cable out of the back and hooking the working floppy up that way. I'm running the machine off an ATX PSU so things are a bit jury-rigged at the moment but I can't really bear to have the front look undressed

I've got a CF lite card in it but the addition of the prosthetic floppy allowed me to load up SQ2 and KQ2 today which was really wonderful

I used these - worked perfectly for a pair of HH drives:

https://www.opentip.com/product.php?products_id=1573252

Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...IBM-PC-XT-5160 shows the bracket that was used to handle two half height drives in a 5160. Might provide enough information to permit making a duplicate.

If you only install one drive, remember to cover up the resultant gap in the front panel. Otherwise, a lot of dust would be entering the drive which is never good.
    I cannot find any cover anywhere online. Are these available anymore? Maybe Im not searching by the right name?

Blog Entries

Probably not, though I have a few. Make you own from textured ABS. ABS sheet is very easy to work with and works with various solvent cements.