Image Map Image Map

Thread: Borland C++ 5.02

Default Borland C++ 5.02

Were actual docs ever provided for this release? What about 5.5? Both were sort of shadowy releases, to my knowledge neither was ever packaged, by Borland (5.2 was packages as a starter kit but only with a 3rd party print or ebook). I perused the 5.02 cd, just released notes and such. Are the docs provided with release 5 the presumed goto? Similarly 5.5 was a stripped down release with no ide, but perhaps some enhancements to the compiler? I have it on a cd that came with book.

Ws the 5.02 just an update CD to 5.00? I remember getting the 5.00 kit way back in the day, but it has been a long time to remember... Not sure if 5.02 was just a CD or if they had a 5.02 release with manuals. There is a site with old borland software that might have some hints:

http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/borc.htm#cpp5

It officially supported NT 4.0 amongst other enhancements I think.

An MS-dos window under win98se is 16 bit, no? I cut my teeth with C using 5.5, which is only text based. But wikipedia claims 5.02 was the last version to compile to real mode. I'm confused.

Your link shows a 5.02 product that weigjs 10 lbs. Sure sounds lime a complete Borland package to me.

Real mode = DOS 16 bit application (one that doesn't run in protected mode)

They pulled DOS compiling from the free 5.5 release they made which could target win32.

So how was I compiling stuff in a dos window?

Ok iirc the compile command was bcc32. I was just under the persuasion that when you were in a dos window, you were effectively in real mode.

It wasn't a DOS window, but a win32 console window that can run win32 console applications and emulate DOS applications (assuming it is an x86 OS and not x64).

Ho ok my mistake. Incidentally the compile command may have been bcc55, not too sure about that,I really can't remember.