Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer will not boot with 2 hard drives attached and hard drive size issue 98se

Default Computer will not boot with 2 hard drives attached and hard drive size issue 98se

The hard drive in my tweener just bit the dust and stopped booting so I decided to upgrade it with a couple new old stock drives I had on my shelf (fortunately able to copy all my files off before it completely went). Now I'm having a couple weird issues. My motherboard is a Biostar M7VIG 400 with a 1200mhz AMD Duron cpu.

First isn't too bad but it will only boot with one hard drive hooked up. I'm trying to use a Hitachi Deskstar 80gb and a Western Digital Caviar 160gb. When one or the other is hooked up it boots fine but when both are it hangs on the splash screen. This isn't a huge issue, I can just run one drive but I'd like to figure out why it's doing that.

Next I'm having an issue with Windows 98se where when I run fdisk and try to partition it, it sees the 160gb drive as ~15gb and the 80 as ~12gb. I have all the settings set to auto in the bios and I've never had an issue like this before. I just put an 80gb drive in a Pentium 2 machine and it worked perfectly first time, as with every other larger drive I've installed 98 on.

I might be missing something obvious but in my sleep deprived head I can't think of anything

There is an FDISK and SCANDISK update for windows 98 that addresses this issue. It won’t really fully fix the 160GB drive, because even the update is only good to 99GB in FDISK. You can use something like partition magic or ghost to overcome the issue though.

Ah, ok. So is there an updated iso image or boot disk? I'm not sure how I never heard of that or needed it before because I've been using the same OEM disk for years now

Blog Entries

A quick google shows no SATA so I assume it is using IDE hard drives. If so are you using 80 pin IDE cables or the older 40 pin variety? Is the BIOS setup for LBA mode? Do you have the hard drives setup correctly as master and slave or cable select? You need to be using 80 pin cables for drives of that size and make sure there isn't a conflict with Master and Slave (don't forget the Optical drive is using one of those as well).

I suggest each HD gets its own cable if you are going to use both at the same time.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

The update puts the new fdisk in c:\windows\command and also somewhere in the cabs. If you make a boot disk the alerts says you need to copy the file from command to the disk.

The files seem to be here: http://www.eastbuttress.com/windows-...rosoft-patches

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    The hard drive in my tweener just bit the dust and stopped booting so I decided to upgrade it with a couple new old stock drives I had on my shelf (fortunately able to copy all my files off before it completely went). Now I'm having a couple weird issues. My motherboard is a Biostar M7VIG 400 with a 1200mhz AMD Duron cpu.

First isn't too bad but it will only boot with one hard drive hooked up. I'm trying to use a Hitachi Deskstar 80gb and a Western Digital Caviar 160gb. When one or the other is hooked up it boots fine but when both are it hangs on the splash screen. This isn't a huge issue, I can just run one drive but I'd like to figure out why it's doing that.

Next I'm having an issue with Windows 98se where when I run fdisk and try to partition it, it sees the 160gb drive as ~15gb and the 80 as ~12gb. I have all the settings set to auto in the bios and I've never had an issue like this before. I just put an 80gb drive in a Pentium 2 machine and it worked perfectly first time, as with every other larger drive I've installed 98 on.

I might be missing something obvious but in my sleep deprived head I can't think of anything
    Your mobo supports 4 EIDE HD's. If your onboard IDE connector has all of the pins, then you use the 40 strand/pin cable. If not, pin 20 is blocked out and it would require the 80 pin/strand cable. Ensure that your boot HD is staked to Master and your 2nd HD is set to Slave. A lot of the optical drives like to be setup using Slave. Run your HD's off the primary IDE connector and the optical drive off the secondary IDE connector. Also, what I like to do is build the box up in increments; i.e., one device at a time and wring-out any problems on the way. Try to keep your setup within the board's BIOS specs.

Note: If your mobo IDE connector has a full set of pins, you can use the 80 pin/strand cable if you want to drill the empty or blank pin 20 space out (be careful) - I've done it many times.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; November 25th, 2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I'll try swapping out the cables, I think I have the 40 strand cable in there now. As far as I can tell all the settings are correct- LBA, both on cable select with the bios recognizing them correctly. I'm not going to go through and put it together 1 piece at a time because it was all working perfectly together until yesterday so I know all the other components aside from the hard drive are compatible and have no weird issues

Swapped out the cable and same issues. I confirmed that both drives were set to LBA. I have them both set to cable select so I'll see if changing that does anything

Update: changed to the master and slave settings and it boots now with the 80 strand cable. It's still recognizing the 160gb drive as 20gb in fdisk though
    Last edited by RadRacer203; November 26th, 2019 at 06:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Swapped out the cable and same issues. I confirmed that both drives were set to LBA. I have them both set to cable select so I'll see if changing that does anything

Update: changed to the master and slave settings and it boots now with the 80 strand cable. It's still recognizing the 160gb drive as 20gb in fdisk though
    I'm confused about your mobo on-board IDE connectors. Question: Is pin 20 missing on those connectors? If so, you need to use only the 80 pin/strand IDE cables. How many partitions are on your HD? Possibly you may want to use GPARTED https://gparted.org/ or some other 3rd party app. Be aware that there are known issues in the W98 FDISK app concerning partition size.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

With the new, updated FDISK?
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step