Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping an ASR-33 Teletype across the pond...

Default Shipping an ASR-33 Teletype across the pond...

Hi All,

After ~15 years of dreaming, I'm branching out from the world of vintage computers and into the world of Teletypes.

I've recently acquired a couple of 33 ASRs in their original boxes, with their shipping screws installed into a particle board base.
    The pedestals are included but aren't boxed, and have some extra electronics installed that I've not yet seen in another unit so am unfamiliar with.

I'm planning on shipping them from the US to England, where I'll likely keep one and make the other available to a collector here.

After looking though the archives I've seen that I should:
    - Ensure shipping screws are in place
    - Remove the ribbon
    - Tie the carriage fully returned to the top of the spacing sprocket
    bracket (How important is this step? One of the units will not CR yet)

Is there anything else I should do? I was thinking I should also:
    - Remove the paper rolls and pack them inside the pedestal
    - Tape down any loose plastics
    - Double box the original boxes with a few inches of padding each side
    - Affix a "Do not stack" cone to each box

To anyone who's done this before, do you have any freight company recommendations? I hear that UPS should be avoided. How about DHL?

Regards,
    -Tom
    Wanted: TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8341), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Blog Entries

For mine we actually triple wrapped it in plastic, and then shot foam into the box all around it. It was entombed in there and arrived absolutely unscathed. But it was quite a process to remove it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    For mine we actually triple wrapped it in plastic, and then shot foam into the box all around it. It was entombed in there and arrived absolutely unscathed. But it was quite a process to remove it!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, hopefully I'll be able to entomb the Teletype in its original box before having it double-boxed and wrapped to a skid.
    Wanted: TU56, RK05, VT52/100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8341), memory for 11/40.
    Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, Numerous PC ISA, PCI, and VLB boards and motherboards from the 5150 to P4 era, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, QBUS cards, 8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, VT420, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair/TRS-80 spares, Mac Classic + Classic II.

Would you be interested in leaving one on this side of the pond for me? I'd like one if you have a few and don't mind.

Edit: Someone pointed out that I should clarify which side of the pond. Therefore, the request is to leave one on the USA side of the pond.
    Last edited by chedro; November 27th, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

I ended up getting Craters and Freighters to pick them up and have them foamed and packed into custom crates - I've heard good things about them from the folks on Greenkeys so hopefully should be fine.

Blog Entries

C&F are generally very reliable.

I trust that you notified your buyer that the 60Hz and 50Hz units are not the same.

Yep, C&F with foam fill is the way to go. You can just about airdrop that stuff!

Protip: an electric bread/meat knife really zips through foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    C&F are generally very reliable.

I trust that you notified your buyer that the 60Hz and 50Hz units are not the same.
    I have, and may convert it anyway if I can find the right motor and gears.

@TJ_Mossman PM'ed you