Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: I just bricked a lovely Mostek STD-Bus / MDX boards Development System

Here is the manual in PDF form for the MDX-FLP2:
    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/p...s/mdx-flp2.pdf

I wonder if its to port settings that are incorrect, but I'm not sure how to diagnose that...

Chuck, in your opinion, do you think it would be wiser to try to get a 5.25" drive working in the Mostek machine and continue trying to boot a CP/M disk (such as the Colex 850 disk image you supplied me), or go the other route and try to get an 8" floppy disk written with an original CP/M version and then rebuild the system from scratch?

Or is there another route you think would be better?

Blog Entries

Personally (and this is just my preference), I'd run a CP/M emulator (there are lots of them) on a PC, build up my system, then write a disk.

Have we looked at the Colex 850 source files to see if they even support your floppy controller? I haven't yet.

To get a brute-force CP/M 2.2 system running on hardware is much easier than getting a CP/M 3 system going. You don't have to deal with the nuances of memory management. That may be the first place to start and then graduate to CP/M 3 when we have the lay of the land.

Now, that's just my opinion...

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I'd like to figure out one aspect of the hardware setup before I get into building a CP/M system from an emulator. I can't be sure I have my disk drive configuration set up correctly in order to boot from a floppy image, once I finally get an actual bootable image on either a 5.25" or 8" disk.

When I originally got the machine, it booted from the hard drive (which became drives A and B), and then the floppy drives were accessible by switching to either E: (for the 5.25" floppy drive) or F: (for the 8" floppy drive). The floppy controller was jumpered to only support the 8" drive, so the 5.25" drive wasn't actually accessible in this configuration.

The thing I don't understand about CP/M systems and the boot process: could a bootable disk be inserted in the above configuration and booted without any changes to the configuration? After a while, I disconnected the hard drive and 5.25" drive and changed the jumper on the 8" drive to DS0, in order to go through all the 8" floppies that came with the system and hopefully find one that would boot. I couldn't find one, only the same error code over and over.

What would be an error message from CP/M 3 if it found a non-bootable disk in the drive during boot? Does the configuration depend on the code installed in the EEPROM on the CPU3 board? Is that customized to such a level that it actually defines what drives must be attached to the machine, and in what configuration?

Blog Entries

It all depends on the BIOS code and any code in ROM that actually boots the system upon reset. There may be a jumper or a check for a specific keypress to change the default boot device.

As an example, my old Integrand system used a Tarbell FM controller that also had the boot code--all 32 bytes of it that read in a single 128-byte sector to address 0000 and transferred control to it. It was brute force--it didn't care what was on the disk--if the disk wasn't present or ready, nothing would happen.

Do most BIOS programs have a minimal monitor or some other means of viewing memory and changing values in memory?

Is there anything I can do with the machine without CP/M loaded?

Blog Entries

I don't know--it all depends on the installed ROM in your system.