Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: ITT Satellite navigation system 6000 (PDP8/L)

Blog Entries

Here are a couple 8/L glamour shots from DEC Sales and Marketing:

8L_Glamor-001.jpg

8L_Glamor-002.jpg

Here's a similar case for the 8/E:

8E_GlamorShot_2.jpg
    Last edited by jackrubin; January 19th, 2020 at 05:28 AM.

Is that an intake filter?
    Doug Ingraham
    2nd owner of Straight 8 SN1173
    5 other PDP-8's including an 8/i and a DECSet 8000
    SOL-20

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackrubin View Post

8L_Glamor-001.jpg

8L_Glamor-002.jpg

Here's a similar case for the 8/E:

8E_GlamorShot_2.jpg
    That image kind of reminded me of my NOAA days when I was the tech aboard a ship whose task it was to plot and mark the bays and inlets in Lake Huron. Our job was to coordinate sonar depth soundings with strategically placed Del Norte TACANs along the shore line. All of this data was feed into the PDP-8 and then passed back to HQ at the Atlantic Marine Center for processing into future charts. When visitors came aboard they were treated to a computer generated drawing of a sailboat done with the PDP-8, and then rendered on the plotting table. BTW, that was over 40 years ago
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by DougIngraham View Post
    Is that an intake filter?
    On the 8/E? Yes. The power supply is located there, along with fans. A filter is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bqt View Post
    On the 8/E? Yes. The power supply is located there, along with fans. A filter is a good idea.
    What kind of filter element was used on these?

While my rack mount Straight 8 has filters on the intake fans in the bottom of the racks none of my other 8's do. I guess I never saw a non rack mount 8/e. In particular one of my 8/a's could have really used one. It was a CNC controller and the fan side of all the boards were coated with a metallic residue. This was also on several spare boards I purchased. I assume it was metal particulates suspended in oil. A wonder that it didn't short stuff out. It is interesting that the fan blades didn't show signs of this. Some of the fans had been replaced and the rest were in sorry shape so I swapped all of them out for modern low noise ones. The loudest thing in that machine is now the transformer hum (and the head load mechanism on the RX01's of course.) Makes it a pleasure to be next to. The power supply area could use a little more airflow but the card cage airflow is adequate. At least for the card load I have in that box.
    Doug Ingraham
    2nd owner of Straight 8 SN1173
    5 other PDP-8's including an 8/i and a DECSet 8000
    SOL-20

Quote Originally Posted by DougIngraham View Post
    What kind of filter element was used on these?

While my rack mount Straight 8 has filters on the intake fans in the bottom of the racks none of my other 8's do. I guess I never saw a non rack mount 8/e. In particular one of my 8/a's could have really used one. It was a CNC controller and the fan side of all the boards were coated with a metallic residue. This was also on several spare boards I purchased. I assume it was metal particulates suspended in oil. A wonder that it didn't short stuff out. It is interesting that the fan blades didn't show signs of this. Some of the fans had been replaced and the rest were in sorry shape so I swapped all of them out for modern low noise ones. The loudest thing in that machine is now the transformer hum (and the head load mechanism on the RX01's of course.) Makes it a pleasure to be next to. The power supply area could use a little more airflow but the card cage airflow is adequate. At least for the card load I have in that box.
    I don't have any details of the filter. Maybe there is some documentation somewhere on bitsavers?
    The rackmount version have (if I remember mine right) just this usual DEC stuff that disintegrates with time, which was glued on to the box.
    I would suspect the version in the picture used the same horrible stuff inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrubin View Post
    Hi Jack,

Thanks! What a wonderful pictures. I hope someone has clear pictures
    about how it is really attached to the PDP itself. Or maybe some sizes and
    pictures of the cabinet itself without the PDP...

Regards, Roland
    WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects