Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AT&T PC6300 non-POST

Blog Entries

I'd suspect the display cards. Get those fouled up and the system plays dead. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'd suspect the display cards. Get those fouled up and the system plays dead. Been there.
    Yes. Yes! YESSS!!! First card swapped in produced a boot prompt. Thanks, Chuck. Right again.

I got this PC6300 a couple of years ago and almost immediately began to notice erratic display; sometimes the columns would get messed up, for example: Prompts wouldn't begin at the left-most column or lines would wrap in mid-word. More recently the display wouldn't sync, until finally it wouldn't display at all.

Some component has been failing slowly. I guess the usual suspect is a capacitor; after that I really wouldn't know where to look.

This card has a daughter card (reportedly; I've never seen one). And back in the days when I owned my first 6300 there was report of a high-end AT&T video card for this machine. I never saw one of those either, but they were of interest. I was in the graphics industry and everyone knew it was only a matter of time before digital imaging overtook silver imaging. Things have come a long way since then.

Thanks again to all for their suggestions. One more AT&T back on its feet. I'll report additional progress as appropriate.

-CH-

Booted to AT&T MS-DOS 3.30 and ran Customer Diagnostics; all passed, although "S" and "I" are a little iffy on the keyboard. Relieved, to say the least.

I have the eight original distribution disks that were included with the computer, including help files and a tutorial disk, plus the Logitech mouse driver and v.1.4 patch. I also have the printed documentation.

-CH-

Blog Entries

Can you match the v1.4 patch available somewhere? I'm not sure I've seen that (mouse driver patch?)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Congratulations, happy to see that there is one more M24 alive.

I've got more to do and more questions to answer but I think they belong to another thread. The non-post issue seems to be resolved.

Many, many thanks to all who contributed.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Can you match the v1.4 patch available somewhere? I'm not sure I've seen that (mouse driver patch?)
    I received 8 distribution disks, of which two had software pertaining to the mouse. The first had a program called DrawWriter and the mouse driver, copyright 1984 AT&T and Logitech. The second was labeled "AT&T PC6300 MOUSE DRIVER FIX 30 REL 1.04. I was mistaken when I referred to it as 1.4.

I can post any or all of this wherever you like.

-CH-

Pics:

Mouse.jpg Bundle.jpg

Blog Entries

That mouse driver fix disk is definitely something I've never seen before, and I'd love to host it with other AT&T 6300 software at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/A.../6300%20disks/ . If you could dump a raw image of it (or pkzip the files if you can't make images) and upload it via anonymous ftp to ftp.oldskool.org in /incoming, I can move it to the public driver section.

PS: There's a lot of 6300-specific software at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/ATT/6300/Software/ if you'd like something to test the 640x400 special graphics mode of the 6300.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

I am also interested in that mouse driver. Maybe it fixes some issues I have with some software. I think, it's my GEM installation which does not work with the driver provided by Trixter on his page.

I have imaged the two disks shown above using the Jim Drew Super Card Pro and a Panasonic JU455 drive which, to my knowledge, is within spec. They have been FTP-sent to the Incoming folder you cited. The .SCP image files are raw files with a header indicating the type and format of the image. I have used HxC's software to retrieve them in the past.

http://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=scp
    http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

I do not have a machine set up at the moment that can run Dunfield's ImageDisk or Chuck's Teledisk and then transfer the image to this computer, or one like it, that is connected to the Internet and therefore capable of FTP.
    If this attempt is unsuccessful, let me know and I will dig something up, after a modest delay.

-CH-