Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2K Workstation Revived With Problems

Yes, is there a way to get the extra speed? It seemed that 933 MHz was the highest option.

Smile Making Progress

The utility provided several options and 933 MHz was the fastest. If there is a way I can get it up to the 1 GHz speed, please let me know.

I spent some time with the machine today and as it stands all 3 GB of Ram are recognized, and the processors are almost maxed out. I had to install an older CD ROM (from 1999) because I was having problems with the DVD writer slowing down the system and also an older CD writer that I could not load the drivers for. Doing yet another clean install of Windows 2000 seemed to clean things up a bit. As it stands, here is how the machine is set-up:

Windows 2000 Pro SP 4
    Dual 1 GHz P3 XEON Processors (clocked at 933 MHz each)
    3 GB RAM
    17 GB SCSI Hard-Drive for OS and Applications
    Floppy Drive
    ZIP 100 Drive (IDE 2 on motherboard)
    CD ROM (IDE 2 on motherboard)

I have just mounted a pair of Seagate Barracude 250 GB PATA Hard-Drives in the caddy and am about to connect them to IDE Channel 1 on the mother board. They will be used to store files only.

Regarding the pair of 250 GB hard-drives, how should they be configured? Master, Slave, Cable Select? I have no idea.

Dear Moderator,

I just noticed that my thread was moved to "completely off topic". I don't understand this as I originally posted in a pentium category.

Also, my posts are taking an extremely long time to be posted.

Is this sop for newbs like myself?

Thank you,

acad_2k

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You said in the OP that you have 1 GHz Xeons installed, you're 66 MHz short of that.
    iirc, in one of those threads I linked it said the /E option is needed to get all the way up to 1GHz.

Good Morning,

The responses to my questions have been very helpful. I have posted twice in the last 12 hours or so and they are not shown in the thread. I would like to resolve the issues with my computer before the weekend is gone, so if there is any way to get my posts into the thread soon, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

acad_2k

well, I'm not sure what's going on but since my posts are not being uploaded, then I won't participate in this forum any longer.

thanks to the members who posted and helped me work thru this project

Moderators have lives to live too. Not having your posts approved on a long holiday weekend is not the end of the world.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by acad_2k View Post
    well, I'm not sure what's going on but since my posts are not being uploaded, then I won't participate in this forum any longer.

thanks to the members who posted and helped me work thru this project
    You've got 11 posts now, so your replies should appear immediately.

Thank you for all of the support.

I finally got the machine in full working order including the pair of 250GB hard-drives. I simply left the jumpers in the "cable-select" option and formatted them using the disk provided by Seagate.

This will be my ultimate cad work-station, it will allow me to use the software I paid thousands of dollars for almost 20 years ago.

hmmm, this posted instantly but my post from this morning still does not show.