Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New project - the ROMulator, successor to the PETvet (RAM/ROM replacement plus debug)

Very much interested in doing that. Are there any particular features for such a device that you'd be interested in?

Blog Entries

I'd like support DIRECTORY command, and internal mounting, It's just a bit of a pain with the 2 boards sticking out of the back of the pet with the usb cable in between them.

Petdisk feature wishes: Directory command, support subdirectories on the SD, ability to load diskette images such as:
    Common Disk Images

.D64 - 1541 single-sided disks for floppies 1541, 1551, 1571, etc. This is the most common for C64 and PET disk images that are on the web.
    .D67 - DOS 1.x disk images (with 670 blocks free after format) as used in the 2040/3040 drives. This is rarely seen.
    .D80 - 8050
    .D82 - 8250

Thanks, this is next up on the project list. This time I may try to implement it using a esp-8266 family MCU so you'd get wifi functionality as well, to host network drives for the PET, and potentially for general purpose network writes and reads.

Wow, would we also be able to wifi files to the new PETDisk while is connected to the PET? That would bring the PET into the 21st century.

I'm definitely interested in the ROMulator! Count me in.

Just as a side: PetSD+ provides disk image access functionality and subdirectories. I don't know about availability. I built my own from the schematics online and it works great.

http://www.primrosebank.net/computer.../pet_petsd.htm
    Last edited by Holmes; December 13th, 2019 at 06:25 AM.

Latest on the ROMulator - I got a few of the latest rev boards in, and while waiting for some assembled boards to come back from a pcb assembler, I managed to get a few built using hot air soldering for the tricky FPGA part. Those pesky QFN-48 parts are pretty tough to get on there correctly unless you are an expert solderer (which I am not). But happily, got a few boards working now for testing.
    The latest version replaces the upduino in the design. It's a separate fpga carrier board with a programming/debug header to connect to a raspberry pi or other spi-capable interface. Brought out all the fpga io out to the pins, and made it a 40 pin part to accommodate the extra io.
    Latest version of the CPU board has a modified socket to accept the new fpga board, and a nice led to let you know the board is alive.
    Going to do some extra testing on my own PET collection here (2001, 8032, and 4032), and assuming all looks good should have a couple of these to start sending out in a few days.

I'm going to include a few ROM sets on the default firmware to support the machines I have available for testing. Looks like BASIC 4 and basic 2 crtc and non-crtc, and different edit ROMs.
    Open for suggestions on other ROM sets that would be useful to include by default.
    I don't have any non 60hz machines here that I can test on, but would like to support those. Any specific pets you want to support, please send me the ROM ids and I'll make it happen.

Pictures here. Please forgive the poor image quality - somehow dust got inside my phone and into the lens area. Need to figure out how to crack it open and clean that out one of these days...
    IMG_2918-2.JPG
    IMG_2919-2.JPG
    Last edited by gubbish; December 18th, 2019 at 04:08 AM.

Apologies for the delay for those interested - at long last I've got a batch of ROMulators ready to go and will start getting them out to you.
    It will come with 4 ROM settings pre-installed - BASIC 2 non-CRTC, BASIC 4 non-CRTC, BASIC 4 CRTC 80Col 60Hz and BASIC 4 CRTC 40Col 60Hz.
    This is only 4 out of 16 selectable memory maps, so if anyone has other ROM collections they would like to have available, please let me know.
    Or you can make any custom ROM sets you like, and install them via the ROMulator programming interface using a Raspberry Pi. (any model)

Code and schematics are up at:
    https://github.com/bitfixer/bf-romulator

I'm updating the READMEs in the repo to hopefully provide full instructions on use, programming, and debug functionality.
    Also will try to get a little demo/instructional video up in the next couple of days.