Image Map Image Map

Thread: 3.5" SCSI HDD's - Preferably 1 or 2GB

Default 3.5" SCSI HDD's - Preferably 1 or 2GB

I just bought a PS/2 Model 95, and to my surprise all three of the hard drives (400MB, 85F0012) in it were dead. They make this strange clicking/thunking sound as if the head is banging against something. I guess it makes sense because they are all the same model, meaning they would have the same engineering defects. Anyway, I'm looking to replace them. I'm hoping for 1 or 2GB SCSI drives (can't go over 3.94GB), however I might be interested in lower capacity ones >= 400MB if you have multiple. They need to have the 50 pin connector though, not the 68 pin one.

Ahh, the dreaded "ball bearing dropped onto a metal plate" sound.

I'm too far away for cheap shipping. How about these?
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+0662&_sacat=0

FWIW, you only need to stick to the 3.94GB limit for the IML drive, with the "System Partition" on it, usually ID 6 with IBM SCSI adapters.
    There's also a utility to "fake out" a SCSI drive to report fewer LBAs than the maximum LLF-ed.
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/scsifix.zip

"IBM" HD summary, plus notes:
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/IBM_H...rd_Drives.html
    Last edited by WBST; November 26th, 2019 at 05:51 PM.

SCSI is mostly backwards compatible, you can use adapters for 68 or 80 pin drives to work on the old 50 pin bus. I have several 68 to 50 pin and vice versa adapters that work fine on the piles of SCSI drives I have. I also have a couple of SCA-80 to 68 pin adapters which also work fine, they're just a bit kludgy due to the size of the adapter board.

Blog Entries

It's also prudent to specify if you want 1/3 height or 1/2 height 3.5' SCSI drives. Some Seagate drives of that era came in half-height packages and may be too tall for your application.

Blog Entries

You might also consider a SCSI2SD board. 50pin connector. Many partitions. Just use a branded SD card.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I looked at SCSI2SD, but it's a bit too expensive for me. I found some good 1GB seagate SCSI drives for $20GB, + $10 68 pin to 50pin adapters, and I think I'm going to go with them.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I'm hoping for 1 or 2GB SCSI drives (can't go over 3.94GB), however I might be interested in lower capacity ones >= 400MB if you have multiple. They need to have the 50 pin connector though, not the 68 pin one.
    I have several drives, probably 200MB=>1GB that are 50-pin internal SCSI whatever. I had a plan long ago that never panned out. I'm sure I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by willmurray461 View Post
    I just bought a PS/2 Model 95, and to my surprise all three of the hard drives (400MB, 85F0012) in it were dead. They make this strange clicking/thunking sound as if the head is banging against something. I guess it makes sense because they are all the same model, meaning they would have the same engineering defects. Anyway, I'm looking to replace them. I'm hoping for 1 or 2GB SCSI drives (can't go over 3.94GB), however I might be interested in lower capacity ones >= 400MB if you have multiple. They need to have the 50 pin connector though, not the 68 pin one.
    Just FYI, I have an Auction thread here:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...IBM-PS-2-etc-)
    the link at the bottom is quite useful, and I have numerous IBM ex-PS/2 drives of all capacities. Ask anything you like, I'm quite knowledgeable on the subject.