Image Map Image Map

Thread: Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, 2nd. ed.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, 2nd. ed.

Anyone have it? My understanding is it comes witha cd. Was just curious what's on it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Anyone have it? My understanding is it comes witha cd. Was just curious what's on it.
    I think it just came with a copy of Minix.

I have the book and the CD. It contains a copy of Minix Version 2.0, which can be installed on a variety of systems from an XT (barely) up to a Pentium class system. The book itself has details of how an OS works, different problems and solutions to designing an OS and copy of the source kernel. Overall, its a good book - if somewhat dated. It came out in 1997 as the second edition of the text. The first edition was used as a starting point for Linux back in 1990.

If you would like a copy of the CD, its now covered under a BSD license. Send me a PM if interested.

Geoff

So when you say runs on an 8088 barely ...

I don't have the 2nd ed. yet. Not sure if Minix 1 or 2 is more suited for what I wish to do, assuming it isn't altogether a pipe dream. I'm planning, eventually, on mimicking very early Netware, so the os has to run on an 80186. I currently know nothing about minix or Netware, just that netware was initially built on top of some early unix distro. Additional networking components were added to that. The host system I want to run it on is a multiuser network in a box. It would be fascinating to learn and understand how a networking os was used (modified?) to accommodate such an arrangement, a main cpu with daughter cards which purport to be mostly ibm compatible.

Assuming I get minix running on this thing, a Northstar Dimension, a lot of gaps would have to be filled in. Whatever networking scheme is built into minix, if any, may or may not be useable. The original operating software for this thing for the moment is unobtainium. Even if I had the earliest version of Netware (Netware-86), my guess is critical components would still be missing. I don't recall what Northstar called their system. But the Televideo personal mini, also 80186 bases, but a significantly different beast, called their hacked version of Netware Infoshare.

There are other options, Xenix being one of them (maybe a 286 is required?). I stumbled upon an early unix variant which allegedly runs on an 8086. Not sure if I'll be able to find it though.

Blog Entries

https://minix1.woodhull.com/teaching/teach_ver.html covers the various versions of Minix. https://minix1.woodhull.com/hints.html#oldminix covers lots of topics including how to run Minix 2 on an XT.

I thought early Netware was its own thing. No Unix involvement until the mid-90s when it was obvious that the DOS extender implementations couldn't be expanded further.

There were versions of Xenix that would run on a 8088 or 8086 system. It was amazing that it worked at all but Unix software was rapidly growing to a size where no XT could possibly handle it.

Im just going by Wikipedia:

"The first product to bear the NetWare name was released in 1983. There were two distinct versions of NetWare at that time. One version was designed to run on the Intel 8086 processor and another on the Motorola processor which was called NetWare 68 (aka S-Net); it ran on the Motorola 68000 processor on a proprietary Novell-built file server (Novell could not write an original network operating system from scratch so they licensed a Unix kernel and based NetWare on that[5]) and used a star network topology. This was soon joined by NetWare 86 V4.x, which was written for the Intel 8086. This was replaced in 1985 with Advanced NetWare 86 version 1.0a which allowed more than one server on the same network."

Minix 1.5 does have networking that was built on after the fact by students of the era. Minix 2 has it built in from the start. Minix is a unix-like OS, the problem comes from segmentation/8088 real mode. Once loaded, the available space on an XT system for programs is very small. On a 286, Minix 2 will address all spaces in protected mode, but will still be limited to 64K for code and 64K for data. If you were looking to emulate Netware, I would think the best way is to build the product in assembler. I'm not sure, but I believe the early Netware 286 and Netware 3 were in x86 assembly.

Are the sources only available in Tanenbaum's books?

I have downloaded every conceivable version, and also Xenix, which is beginning to look very attractive. No sources foe that I bet.

The complete sources to Minix 2, including binaries and patches are available on minix1.woodhull.com. Also, you can find additional software, sources and other information. I received your pm and will send a reply later today.

Geoff

Ok thanks. I also see the source links. I downloaded what I believe were the packed binaries from another site.