Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generic IBM AT Power Supply in a IBM 5150

Default Generic IBM AT Power Supply in a IBM 5150

I recently bought a generic IBM AT power supply (DK Computers) to replace my failing IBM 5150 power supply. The problem is that the motherboard power cable plug appears to be slightly different. It's got the same number of wires, but the actual connect appears to be just different enough that it won't work (it's one piece where the old one was two plugs). Is there any sort of adapter I can use or should just try and harvest the old connectors from the the old power supply? Anyone else run into something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    I recently bought a generic IBM AT power supply (DK Computers) to replace my failing IBM 5150 power supply. The problem is that the motherboard power cable plug appears to be slightly different. It's got the same number of wires, but the actual connect appears to be just different enough that it won't work (it's one piece where the old one was two plugs). Is there any sort of adapter I can use or should just try and harvest the old connectors from the the old power supply? Anyone else run into something like this?
    pics?

This is the IBM 5150 power supply P8 & P9

5150.jpg

This is the generic XT power supply

XT.jpg

As you can see they're close, but not the same. I *think* I can make the generic XT power supply cable fit if I trim some of the plastic on the motherboard connector, but I don't want to do anything that drastic.

This is the IBM 5150 power supply P8 & P9

5150.jpg

This is the generic XT power supply

XT.jpg

As you can see they're close, but not the same. I *think* I can make the generic XT power supply cable fit if I trim some of the plastic on the motherboard connector, but I don't want to do anything that drastic.
    every "AT" type PSU I've owned in my life has looked like the 5150 pictured (including many generics)

the generic one you pictured is totally foreign to me, I'd suggest NOT trimming your motherboard to accommodate it

Since the pins are a different size you'd likely need to use the connectors from the original XT unit. You could try inserting one or more pins to see if it actually fits at all but you'll likely find it doesn't fit.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Since the pins are a different size you'd likely need to use the connectors from the original XT unit. You could try inserting one or more pins to see if it actually fits at all but you'll likely find it doesn't fit.
    What's the best way to take the wires out of the old connector and put them onto the new one? Do they just pull out of the Molex connector?

The wires are also slightly different colors.

5150: Red/Red/Red/White/Black/Black Black/Black/Gray/Yellow?/Tan
    XT Generic: Red/Red/Red/White/Black/Black/Black/Black/Blue/Yellow/Orange

Not sure if that means anything.

What's the best way to take the wires out of the old connector and put them onto the new one? Do they just pull out of the Molex connector?

The wires are also slightly different colors.

5150: Red/Red/Red/White/Black/Black Black/Black/Gray/Yellow?/Tan
    XT Generic: Red/Red/Red/White/Black/Black/Black/Black/Blue/Yellow/Orange

Not sure if that means anything.
    do you have much money wrapped up in this generic PSU? honestly I'd consider returning it if possible and getting one that conforms to standard

Not a ton, but $30 here, $30 there adds up. I can't see why it wouldn't work with a different connector but I also don't want to fry my 5150.

Note that if the replacement PSU does not generate -5V, then it will be a problem for the IBM 5150. See the 'Modern power supplies' section at [here].

Desktop AT power supplies - the ones with the big red paddle switch - usually won't fit in a 5150 PC or 5160 XT case. The later ones from compact AT clones usually have a large external toggle switch.

If you do try to use that power supply on your 5150, double check all the voltages. This AT power supply may have been from a proprietary-form clone with incompatible pinouts.