Image Map Image Map

Thread: Cf adapter issue

Default Cf adapter issue

I decided to test something and bought an ide to cf adapter and a 128mb cf card for my 1993 ibm ps/1. I havent copied the ps/1 software yet off old hdd (need 2mb floppies...not sure where to find those) so installed dos 6.22. The cf card is detected in bios, dos sees and installs to it but when it reboots. Goes to black screen with the letter "j" in the upper left corner. Ive tried to format and reinstall dos several times but nothing changes. I can put in boot disk and see files on the c drive but I cant get past the j screen. Anyone have an issue like this or is this ibm notbable to have any other type of hard disk besides regular type?

Boot the system using a DOS 6.22 boot floppy with fdisk on it and Try running, FDISK /MBR and reboot
    If that don't work download and run wipedisk https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk and try installing Dos again.

Quote Originally Posted by New2vtgpc View Post
    ...(need 2mb floppies...not sure where to find those) ...
    They're the everyday run-of-the-mill 1.44 MB floppies. 2 MB is their unformatted size.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    They're the everyday run-of-the-mill 1.44 MB floppies. 2 MB is their unformatted size.
    That's what I thought but how to unformat them? I have a bumch of blank used ones i wiped and even an unused one from a box gave same error. Would i need to try and source unformatted ones from eBay or something?

Quote Originally Posted by New2vtgpc View Post
    That's what I thought but how to unformat them?
    Why???
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Why???
    Well my Ibm has a program called fitness which allows me to copy the ibm software installed to hdd. But when i put in a blank, wiped, or even brand new 3.5 floppy. Its says please insert 2mb floppy and retry. And none of them I tried work since they all 1.44mb (1.38 after formatting even on the ibm)

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Boot the system using a DOS 6.22 boot floppy with fdisk on it and Try running, FDISK /MBR and reboot
    If that don't work download and run wipedisk https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk and try installing Dos again.
    Ok i booted using 6.22 disk. Used fdisk to delete and make new primary dos partition. Rebooted and typed fdisk /mbr at the prompt then ran the dos 6.22 setup to install to fixed disk. And it works great ! Cant beleive it was something that simple. Now just need to pull the cf card and try to copy some dos game files over and try them out

Why???
    And yes I know it was a dumb question about "unformatting" but dos era a huge weakspot for me in terms of pc knowledge and not fully aware of the "tricks of the trade" so to speak .

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Thanks a ton. Definitely writing that tip down. I mainly wanted to make sure the adapter and cf drive would work. I have an old compaq with a verrry noisy hdd that could fail any second and wanted to make sure i had options besides sourcing a used 1gb hard drive. Spent all day trying to make this and all it took was a few more keystrokes. Google just kept leading to pages about installong via dosbox.