Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart has antique computer parts

Blog Entries

Sliced Deli meat needs to be eaten within 5 days.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    ... sliced ham needs to be used within a week or it starts to smell awful...
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Sliced Deli meat needs to be eaten within 5 days.
    I used to think that everybody knew that.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You have obviously never met my mother. And if you ever do, never eat anything she gives you. She will swear it is still good because it's been in the freezer for the last three years and things in the freezer never age.

The walmart sliced ham has printed use by dates that are usually two or three weeks later. Obviously that is a lie. But for whatever it is worth (about twice the price) the Publix stuff usually does seem to stay good for up to about two weeks. But now that I think of it, perhaps that should worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    The walmart sliced ham has printed use by dates that are usually two or three weeks later.
    That's only valid if it hasn't been opened and partially used. Once you've opened it all bets are off.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I keep everything meat, butter and cheese related in the freezer
    And carry an extra sharp set of knives, no more worries.

Never looked back, Freezer burn is better than rot and takes a lot longer to happen

Blog Entries

I keep drive belts in the freezer too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I keep drive belts in the freezer too.
    Dry frozen storage is the best way to keep all computer components, sadly it’s rather expensive half the year

Blog Entries

What with replacement belts getting harder to come by, it's worth keeping a small bag of the things in the freezer compartment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
    I keep everything meat, butter and cheese related in the freezer
    And carry an extra sharp set of knives, no more worries.

Never looked back, Freezer burn is better than rot and takes a lot longer to happen
    A friend I worked with had a freezer in his basement in the same room as the pool table we used. I guess somebody had put frozen meals in it many years before and forgot about it. Anyway we found out by digging in it one day that mold or fungus (no idea what it was) will grow in ice even if it is VERY slow. The ice crystal growth was cool to look at too.

Meat can last something like 6 months in a freezer if wrapped correctly. I use freezer paper making sure there are no air pockets and then wrap it in aluminum foil. Cheese last long enough if you keep it wrapped correctly in the fridge and not get it moist. Something like provalone will grow mold in a couple weeks if not stored correctly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    When it comes to food never assume anything.

The whole good by dates on food (and medicine) you see on packaging is either just a guess, incorrect, or just a guide to when something might taste a little different but its still edible. Plus people have their own preferences with respect to their smell. Air is full of bacteria so once you open that shrink wrapped or canned item there is a timer ticking to when it spoils. Hell there is a use by date for salt like anything is going to happen to a unopened container of salt (an opened one will suck in moisture and clump up over time but still be usable).

There are people on youtube that open C rations dating back to WW2 and EAT THEM. One guy was saying something about tasting almonds in some snack that didn't have that ingredient (he ate small amounts of cyanide). People find old dried figs while digging in ancient ruins and they somehow have the urge to taste the stuff.

While I agree sharp knives are great if you like cooking, the most important thing to have in the kitchen is a working thermometer.