Image Map Image Map

Thread: Replacement keyboard cord for kaypro 2X 1984?

Default Replacement keyboard cord for kaypro 2X 1984?

I just got a CP/M disk for my Kaypro 2-84 (2X) and it boots up no problem. But the keyboard is not recognized. I saw some people say a telephone handset cord works as a replacement for the keyboard cord. So that is what I'm using. The caps lock light is on. But none of the keys do anything. Is there a trick I'm missing?

This topic always seems to generate lots of argument. My own experience was that telephone handset cords are not sufficient. The wire used in them was too small to provide reliable operation. You also need to make certain that the cord is 4-conductor - I recall seeing some "modern" phones that would use 2-conductor handset cables. Telephone handset cables are "straight" wired - which is what you need for the Kaypro, but beware that telephone line cords are reversed and will not work - there has been debate about whether they cause damage on the Kaypro.

I ended up crimping handset connectors on heavy-duty telephone wire (flat, not coiled), and just lived with that. The wire must be kept as short as possible, and coiled cable is often too long, plus the coiling presents a constant "stress" on the wire the I always suspected as leading to early failure.
    - Doug

Here is a Posting I made years ago:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...aypro+Keyboard

Larry

Larry, your post has got me concerned. Telephone handset cables are straight-through, but your instructions show a reversed cable. Unless the Kaypro II used a different pinout at the Keyboard from the Kaypro 2X.

While searching for confirmation of handset cable pinout, found this: http://catskillsupply.com/telehandset.html They make solid copper cables, and might be a good source for Kaypro keyboard cables. You probably still want to avoid extra-long ones, but the solid copper should make it more reliable.
    - Doug

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    This topic always seems to generate lots of argument. My own experience was that telephone handset cords are not sufficient. The wire used in them was too small to provide reliable operation. You also need to make certain that the cord is 4-conductor - I recall seeing some "modern" phones that would use 2-conductor handset cables. Telephone handset cables are "straight" wired - which is what you need for the Kaypro, but beware that telephone line cords are reversed and will not work - there has been debate about whether they cause damage on the Kaypro.

I ended up crimping handset connectors on heavy-duty telephone wire (flat, not coiled), and just lived with that. The wire must be kept as short as possible, and coiled cable is often too long, plus the coiling presents a constant "stress" on the wire the I always suspected as leading to early failure.
    My cord is a handset cord with (what looks like) four conductors. It is coiled 5 feet (extended).

What does it looks like when a cord with wires that are too small is used? For me the caps lock light is illuminated. So the keyboard is getting power. But none of the keys do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    While searching for confirmation of handset cable pinout, found this: http://catskillsupply.com/telehandset.html They make solid copper cables, and might be a good source for Kaypro keyboard cables. You probably still want to avoid extra-long ones, but the solid copper should make it more reliable.
    Good find. They are not cheap for small orders though. Minimum order is $10 + $10 shipping.

Examining the only phone I have that still uses a corded handset, I see that cable is reversed - contrary to my memory (seg-fault, core dump). Anyway, cable wire gauge is important (conductance) so make sure your replacement is adequate.
    - Doug