Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Computer Systems model 2422 FDC for Exidy Sorcerer

Question California Computer Systems model 2422 FDC for Exidy Sorcerer

With a recent purchase of an Exidy Sorcerer with an S-100 Expansion Unit came an S-100 FDC: the CCS 2422. Regrettably it does not work in the current configuration, I believe it may need (Sorcerer specific?) firmware in a 2716 eprom that is missing. Also there are two 27S287 logic chips missing but I'm not sure those are needed?

The same card is mentioned on vintagecomputer.ca but it is unclear if the so called mystery is solved. In a follow-up post it is pictured with an eprom fitted, but with little more clarification.

I have tried to contact the site admin but am not getting a reply there.

If there is anyone here that has this card working in an S-100 expansion unit for an Exidy Sorcerer, or has more pointers on how to get it working, please let me know!

Blog Entries

There is lots of info on this board here:-

http://www.s100computers.com/Hardwar...CS/FDC/FDC.htm

including manuals. I haven't looked at the manuals but chips like the 27s287 are often used for address decoding so would probably be needed.
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

The missing bipolar proms don't appear to be needed. one controls bank select, the other ROM address.
    The ROM socket wont work.

joe

Thanks for the links and suggestions, very helpful!

Looking at the manual the card should have 2K ROM with firmware. My card only has one 1K PROM fitted so one 1K of ROM seems to be missing.
    The manual also states that the firmware can be modified for specific configurations:
    “modifying the firmware so far described involves programming a user-supplied 2716 EPROM”

So it would seem that programming the 74S287 PROM can be avoided by fitting an EPROM. It does not mention if this needs any other modification.

The s100 site (thanks Dave!) actually has a the image for a 2716 EPROM. What I believe to be looking for is a 2716 EPROM image with the firmware modified to work on an Exidy Sorcerer. The default firmware is located at 0000H, which can’t be accessed from the Sorcerer because it overlaps with it’s internal memory. If I understand the Exidy documentation correctly, it needs to be at C000H or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    The same card is mentioned on vintagecomputer.ca but it is unclear if the so called mystery is solved. In a follow-up post it is pictured with an eprom fitted, but with little more clarification.

I have tried to contact the site admin but am not getting a reply there.
    BTW that is Snuci's site: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/member.php?27772-snuci
    Maybe send him a PM?

Sorry, I have been super busy lately. Here's a picture of my CCS 2422 floppy controller. http://vintagecomputer.ca/wp-content...-FDD-Front.jpg

I can dig it out and read the EPROM but I'm not sure if I have the equipment to read U22 and U23. I do have some documentation scattered in the SCSUG newletters in this directory: http://vintagecomputer.ca/files/Exid...up%20Meetings/ Have a look through them as there are tidbits here and there of my specific set up including the custom enclosure. One particular newletter covers the modified 2422 BIOS for Exidy Sorcerer specifically here: http://vintagecomputer.ca/files/Exid...ber%201986.pdf

I'll have to check if I have the equipment and can read the U22 and U23 22V10 GALs.

Hope this helps and I am sorry for the delay.

I have an original CCS2422 that came in a system I purchased. I have never used it.

U21 is not installed, I have read U22 and U23 (74S287 PROM) but can't seem to append a .bin or .hex file

Happy to email them along.

I can also burn 74S287's (as well as 2716's) if you need them.

- Gary

Quote Originally Posted by dutchacorn View Post
    If there is anyone here that has this card working in an S-100 expansion unit for an Exidy Sorcerer, or has more pointers on how to get it working, please let me know!
    A custom version of the Sorcerer Computer User Australia SCUAMON64 Power on Monitor ROM for 64 column Sorcerers is known to exist (undumped) and is configured to autoboot a CCS controller.
    When that Sorcerer boots it says:

Code:
    SCUAMON 64 v3.4 : BFFF Hex.
    C. C. S.   @ B600H
    So that might be a clue to the boot address.

It’s been a busy week so far, no retro time yet. I did find an envelope from 1985 with a monitor upgrade from the Gebr. van Montfoort, never installed. It is marked version 1.3C. According to the documentation version 1.3B has support for the Exidy FDC, including the bootstrap rom. Not sure what changes 1.3C has.

I’ll install the upgrade this weekend and see where it gets me.

Can you please scan the documentation, scan the envelope (unless it's just plain), photograph the ROMs and dump them?
    That is all