Image Map Image Map

Thread: Good surplus store in bay area?

Default Good surplus store in bay area?

Hi

Does anyone know of a good electronics surplus store in the bay area? I am mostly looking for components, but old commodore computers are also interesting.

Blog Entries

I'm afraid you may be too late.
    WeirdStuff closed a year and a half ago and most of the major remaining electronics surplus stores have gone and folded as well.
    = Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by Kakemoms View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know of a good electronics surplus store in the bay area? I am mostly looking for components, but old commodore computers are also interesting.
    Excess Solutions on 7th St in San Jose
    http://www.excesssolutions.com/

Anchor Electronics is also good for quick pickup of components and connectors.
    anchor-electronics.com
    2040 Walsh Avenue
    Santa Clara, CA 95050

A second endorsement for Excess solutions, they bought the remaining stock from Halted that also closed recently. Some interesting and useful lab/test equipment as well. Definitely worth browsing both in person.

I went to ExcessSolutions and found that they were not interested in selling wire by the foot. I did not try to find and thing like ICs but did walk around. I got the feeling that they were not that interested in the hobby sales.
    For most of my component purchases, I've been using Anchor Electronics. They don't have many of the unusual items that Halted used to have and not the large amount of used test gear. Still, they have a good selections of ICs, including some DTL parts for those keeping really old gear up and running.
    Dwight

It does appear that electronic surplus stores all around the world are closing down, very few left in AU and NZ now. The kinds of places where you can browse and buy small amounts of components.

Nowhere near the Bay area, but a good one remains in the USA (Skycraft Parts) which I usually visit if I am on holiday in the Florida area, it is complete with rockets outside and a flying saucer on the roof, it really is as interesting as it looks in there, scroll the left hand images:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/uv?hl...oiowEXoECAoQBg

...but I just read that Skycraft parts may have moved.....so check the new address.

There is also Surplus Sales in Nebraska, but I have only ordered on line, not been to the actual store, they have fantastic stuff.
    Last edited by Hugo Holden; December 1st, 2019 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries

The big problem, of course, is when stuff was actually manufactured in the US, there was plenty of surplus available.
    Now that almost everything is offshored, you'd probably have to visit Shenzhen to find some good surplus.

Silicon Valley used to have lots of smaller "incubator" sites; no more.

Even though, I prefer Anchor, the one on 7th should be visited, as well. It is a large warehouse. You could spend an hour there looking through things. It is on the South-West corner of 7th and Alma. You have to enter from 7th, about 1/4 block on the right there will be a gate through the fence. Once inside the fence, go about 20 degrees to the right and you'll see SurplusSolutions. There are a lot of trailers parked towards the corner. You can just ignore them. Finding the entrance, to the fence, the first time is a little tricky.
    Anchor Electronics just has a small show room but most hobby stuff is packed in there. They also do mail order but some items are just not listed on their mail order list. Still, if you have a number of IC or other things that you might find in their price list, copy the price list off the web and mark the items you want.
    Dwight

Thank you all for the tips!

I first went to Anchor Electronics in the morning and spent like 2-3 hours there getting alot of stuff. They were very friendy, even finding chips with older date codes. All neatly packed and easy to find. They guy by the entrance had some nice stories as well, and told be that there was another Apple-1 builder there some days ago. Apparently he had found a real old Apple-1 board while browsing though some old electronic boards. What a story!

My replica is nowhere close to that, but at least its going to have date correct components and sockets (eventually). After the visit to Anchor, I drove over to Excess Solutions, and what a blast! A full warehouse of old stuff and components. It really blew me away. Needless to say, I spent the rest of the day there and even found some packages of low-profile TI sockets(!) The 24-pin version is the correct C8424 series with golden pins, and they even had a package of the 14 pin (altough without golden pins - its the 9314). But the most rewarding was to find the 100Ohm Vishay potmeter (75H101) that sits on the NTI boards. I have been looking for that for a long time.

One of the guys there was also helpful with finding a few date correct IC's (from behind the counter). I did find a few on my own, but its more like looking for the needle in the haystack. Alot of fun it was though!