Image Map Image Map

Thread: X86 Based Smartphones

Default X86 Based Smartphones

A year and a half ago I needed a replacement smartphone, and thought "oh look at these Intel Atom X86 based phones, going dirty cheap!" and got one for a hundred bucks. Today though I regret this decision, it's not entirely slow, it's pretty speedy, it's not great on battery life, but not terrible. My main gripe however is the limited game selection I can even run. If they aren't multiarch or for x86 specifically, it won't run it, won't even show up in the Play Store.

Is there any way to possibly run ARM only software on these phones? Some kind of emulation layer perhaps? I know Windows 10 on ARM emulates x86 for x86 only software, and for a while x86 OS X (Tiger through I think Snow Leopard if I remember right) would emulate PowerPC through Rosetta.

I could have sworn Android had a way to do this, but apparently not?

https://i.imgur.com/lKNrwUS.jpg

Or is this honestly going to be a lost cause and just use a different phone? Note, I'm now self employed working on videos for YouTube for income, At most right now I make only 350 a month and it's not much, so if I had to get another phone chances are it wouldn't be for a while, and I would end up getting whatever is cheapest.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Do they still make x86 smart phones? Why not run some other is?

No, they don't, it was on discount because they were getting rid of them. And you can't just run some other OS, the bootloader is locked.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Blog Entries

There was libhoudini which would run Android ARM apps on top of X86 Android. Not sure where to find it now. It was less than stable and quite slow so it may not be the solution you hoped for. Development stopped about two years ago along with Intel canceling their work on X86 Android.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    There was libhoudini which would run Android ARM apps on top of X86 Android. Not sure where to find it now. It was less than stable and quite slow so it may not be the solution you hoped for. Development stopped about two years ago along with Intel canceling their work on X86 Android.
    I'll see what I can find, if it works at all, thanks. I was fearing this phone may be nearing it's end. I was surprised the manufacturer even released Pie BETA AOSP for it (with no ZenUI in sight, just pure Android), almost like a "farewell" to the phone's support.

Get a tablet -- they're cheap enough.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Yea I got one of those cheap $35 Fire tablets that you can install the Play Store on. It semi works (super super slow all around), and has crap battery. Also, doesn't fit well in my pockets. The idea is being portable.

Anyway krebizfan thanks for the libhoudini, apparently Asus actually has it already in the ROM, I just have to run a native bridge script, which is semi broken (need to modify a wget option to point to a local location after manually downloading it from an HTTPS server), and it's now running some ARM games: https://i.imgur.com/bYILhaU.png
    (I say some, some just won't launch, some work though slow, but the game I wanted to play most, this pool game, is running fairly well actually, albeit in what seems like 16-bit color for some reason and not 24-bit color, but I'll take it!)