Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabling text correction

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default disabling text correction

For the love of all that is holy, could someone please show me how to disable this insane insanity. Before I go completely mad.

Android 8.1.0. I'm told to look for a virtual keyboard setting. But none exists. I fished around all I could, couldn't find any conceivable way of turning off the madness.

While at it, someone please show me how to root this phone, an LG Premier Pro LTE, so I can jettison Android and run stock Linux. Minimal functionality would be entirely acceptable.

I don't know your 'phone, but when I was looking into this stuff the xda developers forum was the place to look about rooting specific Mfr. ranges:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/root/

As for "predictive text" I find that the Swiftkey Keyboard app. is much more user friendly. Install and set as your default keyboard.

I think I got it. You hit the gear button on the on screen keyboard and it brings up options. I may have seen that screen before, but I didn't particularly care about prediction. You always have to hunt for exactly what you need, they sure as hell don't make it easy.

And to boot the phone was set to "mild". Imagine if it was on hard. I surely would have gone postal by now. Ok I had one misspelling in this entire post, instead of 6 or 8. How about that.

I swear I'm going back to a flip phone before long anyway.

Step 1: pick up your smartphone.
    Step 2: hurl it into the nearest hard surface as hard as you can.
    Step 3: jump up and down on the remains for good measure.
    Step 4: use a computer that doesn't think it's smarter than you.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I think I got it. You hit the gear button on the on screen keyboard and it brings up options. I may have seen that screen before, but I didn't particularly care about prediction. You always have to hunt for exactly what you need, they sure as hell don't make it easy.

And to boot the phone was set to "mild". Imagine if it was on hard. I surely would have gone postal by now. Ok I had one misspelling in this entire post, instead of 6 or 8. How about that.

I swear I'm going back to a flip phone before long anyway.
    Success is always such a good feeling. I can sympathise with your desire for the old tech. We oldies don't like change that much!

Thete's nothing wrong with change. Not one single bit. When it's passed off some freaking how as beneficial when in reality it'a eggregious bullshit, that's when I reserve the right to join the resistance. The damned thing was correcting everything I did!

It takes a while to "learn" your vocabulary and writing style, you have to persevere, but that in and of itself can be a real pain!!!

The same applies to the "fat fingered" of us, where you hit the wrong character by mistake, some keyboard app.s allow you to teach it where you err.

My wife bought me a flip-top mobile phone for my birthday last year. It's my first mobile and I hardly ever use it. Her iPad has recently exhibited an annoying text correction quirk. When she writes to or about her friend Marianne it changes her name to Marijuana, a word which doesn't occur in her regularly used vocabulary at all. It's a sign of this modern society I suppose.
    Rob - http://www.honeypi.org.uk
    The Internet is a winch to get your project off the ground ... but always have a parachute handy.

You don't control cell phones. Cell phones control you.

I still have a Nokia 5190 that has service: https://i.imgur.com/usuFG6P.jpg

It's most useful when I'm hiking in the nearby woods where my smart phone won't get diddly. Mostly due to the helical antenna the Nokia uses, far better design.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet